Is it ok to drive when ur cv joints are squealing?

kay1083, Feb 12, 10:07am
for a few days anyway, just till I can get into a mechanic!

thunderbolt, Feb 12, 10:15am
Cv joints don't squeal, I suspect it will be the warning tabs on the pads or a stone.

kay1083, Feb 12, 10:19am
Hmm well whatever it is- its on one side and it starts and stops mainly when I turn sharp and it stops when I brake.
It only just got a warrent 2weeks ago and just started making the noise on the weekend.

rellerion, Feb 12, 10:32am
lol yeah, first go check theres no stone stuck there on your wheels. had that happen before

morrisman1, Feb 12, 10:34am
possibly wheel bearing. Potentially dangerous if it collapses. Jack up the front wheels and try give them a wiggle, if you feel any movement in any direction other than wheel rotation then there is something wrong. check both sides and if in doubt go to a mechanic

kazbanz, Feb 12, 7:41pm
Kay- CV joints dont make a squealing noise then make a progressively louder n louder clicking noise.More noticeable when turning.
A squeal could be as simple as a slighty loose "fan" belt(actually alternator/power steering belt.) In which case its easy fixed. Or it could be brake squeal. In any casewaiting to fix it isn't an option. It may be a minor thing now but the longer you leave it the greater the chance of it becomeing a lot more expensive

intrade, Feb 12, 9:14pm
I hope you dont think like some people that a wof is a service check.!
a wof is only checking that your car is no danger to other motorists nothing more

kay1083, Feb 13, 12:37am
Saw a mechanic this morning.its the brake pads and rotor, also a cv joint split pin. nearlly $400 later!

skin1235, Feb 13, 12:44am
"nearly $400 later" your car is now safer to drive on the road, it no longer has the pads and rotors in a condition likely to fail - and kill you or some other more innocent
so yeah, money well spent, luckily it wasn't twice as much

kay1083, Feb 13, 12:51am
I know.but was hoping it might have been just a stone making the noise! lol no such luck

opos, Feb 13, 1:03am
what a slack person that gave u the warrant i know its not a service check but you would of thought they may have picked the prob's up when checking the car

thunderbolt, Feb 13, 1:21am
How would they do that!
No wheels are removed during a WOF.

lookoutas, Feb 13, 4:35am
But I would expect brake pad wear to be checked.

thewomble1, Feb 13, 1:15pm
One time when I took mycar in for WOF and the mechanicremove the wheels to check for leaks and checked the linings at the same time. Nice to know all was well.

steve312, Feb 13, 7:19pm
VIRM actually specifies that the WOF check is a visual check only and that you aren't supposed to pull things apart to find faults.

I suspect the workshop in question was a bit quiet and looking for extra work.The cost of a WOF generally doesn't allow enough time to strip the vehicle for a full inspection.

It is usually possible to see if the front pads are worn without taking the wheels off.And most of the modern cars are either disc rear or have inspection ports in the backing plates to check the linings on the rear brake shoes.

drew2009, Feb 13, 7:23pm
+1 probably time for new brake pads OP

kazbanz, Feb 13, 7:25pm
kay --as per my earlier post --you most likely wouldn't be up for a $400 bill if the car had been maintained correctly. Ie the disk wouldn't be worn if the pads werent down to metal.

steve312, Feb 13, 7:27pm
Unfortunately that isn't always the case though Kaz.Many workshops machine the discs every time they replace pads regardless of their condition.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 13, 8:31pm
And theoretically the occupants of the vehicle.

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 13, 8:32pm
Then they're fools. It's completely unnecessary to do that as routine.

thunderbolt, Feb 13, 8:54pm
Reduces the chance of comebacks and they get to make margin on the skim.

What the deuce are these workshops thinking!

kazbanz, Feb 13, 8:58pm
I'm hearing ya but that sounds like a disk replace not a skim

tonyrockyhorror, Feb 14, 8:15pm
There is the real reason.

punkboy, Feb 15, 5:42am
lol if every motorist stuck to their preventative maintanence program over half of automotive repair shops would close