Mitsubishi GDI motors

haventrader, Feb 12, 6:01pm
Numerous threads on here repeat to avoid the GDI motors like the plague. Why's that! I see numerous Pajero's with these motors, having covered 200k and above, and still appear to be in good order.

mugenb20b, Feb 12, 6:14pm
V6 engines aren't as badly affected as the 4 cylinder ones, but from what I've seen, the intake manifolds clog up really badly and fuel system problems. They also have some kind of mechanical fuel pump bolted to the engine which costs $1200.

In theory, there's nothing wrong with GDi engines, but only Mitsubishi and early Toyota D4 motors had problems (in my experience). Volkswagen's FSi motors seem to be good so far as are Nissan's NEO. .

kazbanz, Feb 12, 7:33pm
it seems to me that basicly the ones with the problem go to a mechanic and get all cleaned up/out and go fine for another 60-100k before gumming up again.

vtecintegra, Feb 12, 8:06pm
The VW and Nissan systems are affected too, just not quite as badly. If you do a quick Google you can see carboned up example of each.

Its actually a problem for all direct injection petrols to a greater or lesser extent

mugenb20b, Feb 12, 11:05pm
I didn't actually know that. Thanks. I thought that VW and Nissan DI engines were spot on.