Inboard Holden VZ Allytec V6 motors?

perpin, Jun 6, 7:55am
Am looking at buying 2 of these and converting to inboards.
Has anyone had experience with converting these! These engines came out in 1995 and it would seem no one has to date made marine exhaust manifolds for these. Am I missing something!
Can't seem to find any info on a conversion!

franc123, Jun 6, 7:59am
Do you mean Alloytec or Ecotec!Two different engines, the Ecotec was the 1995 one.

perpin, Jun 6, 10:24am
Holden Commodore VZ
Introduced: August 2004
Engine: 3.6 litre ALLOYTEC EFI V6 ; 3.6 litre Supercharged V6Power: 175kW (V6) ; 190kW (Supercharged)

antwerp87, Jun 6, 10:42am
Good replacement for the older 308 Hamilton jet. Can I recomend a Lexus V8. 2 of them would be absolutely legend!

perpin, Jun 6, 10:53am
I have been offered 2x NISSAN V8 TURBO CHARGED VH45 ENGINES
but they might be a little too powerfull for my twin surface drive unit which has a rating of up to 300hp. I have not quite decided yet and thought it wise to check on the other options.

perpin, Jun 6, 11:33am
300hp per engine.

antwerp87, Jun 6, 11:42am
Hell. The Lexus V8 would be perfect then. Either that or the Supercharged Toyota straight 6 engine. Both give great power and economy

perpin, Jun 6, 7:11pm
A straight 6 wont fit. The boat is a 10.3m steped hull fishing machine and originally had 2x buick supercharged V6 in, but were sold just before i bought it. So i need something compact,lite,toquey, with a fair bit of power but wont drink the tank dry in minutes.
I really think the alloytech might be right if some one has had experience with them. If not.then there must be a reason why no one will use them.

Just dont want to break the bank trouble shooting an untested motor.

serf407, Jun 6, 8:31pm
The alloytech does not appear on the kmrolco.com website.
Does anything diesel interest you !

berg, Jun 6, 9:09pm
The alloytech is a bloody good engine and I'm surprised somebody has not yet marinised one. The other option would be the earlier 3.8 engine which was also a good reliable donk. Plenty of those went into jet boats and such.

perpin, Jun 6, 10:09pm
The older ones are 147kw and 152kw. The next one was 175kw(which is the VZ) All the specs are on the following link.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/richa306/holdenspecs.html

antwerp87, Jun 7, 12:26am
if it hasn't been used before and your wanting to avoid spending loads of cash finding out how to do it right stick with what's been used before. lexus v8 should do u nicely. Small engine loads of power good torque range and rev quite nicely too and great economy

perpin, Jun 7, 1:47am
Ok, if the VH45 nissan V8 is the way to go, then would the ZF45a 1.5 ratio marine gearbox do it with a change of the bell housing!

bigfatmat1, Jun 7, 4:31am
you would need to run after market computers with them which would add a lot to the price. Which is maybe there is not a lot converted

xs1100, Jun 7, 5:38am
talk to dury carparts if in aucks they have heaps of exprience with the alloytec and have a few in stock,heard some have trouble with timing chain

mike77, Jun 7, 7:37am
hey Perpin, you don't live in Beachlands by chance! Blue hull, center consol! Ijog past every now and again.

If ya ever need a second set of hands to get ya power plant in give me a bell. I'm definately no mechanic but pretty handy at holding a torch ;)

perpin, Jun 7, 8:01am
Ha, you got me Michael. Can't hide in this place, can you. I might very well take you up on that offer. Maybe pop in some time and we can chat.
Mat, I agree.Aftermarket cpu's might be costly but i am waiting for "link" to get back to me on if its possible and how much. I have a mate who might be able to flash/change the original cpu's. Not sure if it will work but he seems confident.
Andrew, the 2 hurdles i guess i have are the cpu's and the marine exhaust manifold. If i can get past these, i know i wil be a good combo. Just need to make sure though.
Dean,thanks.I will look into it with them.

bigfatmat1, Jun 8, 5:34am
the ecu will work once the key signal has been picked up by the key reader interpreted by the bcm and sent to the ecu . there could be a bypass for one but i have not heard of one.

richardmayes, Jun 8, 5:39am
I hope all of these engines that are being considered turn the right way!

rob_man, May 20, 3:05am
Anyone ever made their own marine manifold by winding copper tubing around a standard one, effectively encasing it!
I've heard of it being done.