Truckies. Why the need for engine brakes on flat roads we live on the hauraki plains so not many gradients yet some truck driver

Page 3 / 3
philltauranga, Jun 10, 9:44am
Fark why dredge this thread from 15th Feb, how many pages did foxy have to go back to find it!

bigfatmat1, Jun 10, 9:49am
Its sunday night

carclan, Jun 11, 5:20am
The same reason these dickheads persist in using blow off valves, to attract as much attention to them selves as possible - look at my big truck, brimm, brimm.

movnon, Jun 11, 10:54am
well if thats the case - try slowing down a runaway train!I'm not anti truckies,but there are a few, (one company in particular - ice.!) that persist in tailgating cars. Its happened to me often & living on a busy bypass SH, I see it happen all the time by a few truckies. BTW Jakes are engine brakes, exhaust brakes are exhaust brakes, retarders are all different.but save the brakes.

modie61, Jun 11, 8:45pm
i believe that half the long haul truck drivers out there on our roads have an agressive attitude,im tired of being tailgated by them,i often have to pull over and let them pass,and im doing the speed limit every time. There thats my lot.

philltauranga, Jun 12, 7:53am
I would say probably pressure from the company bosses more so than agressive driver, but hey its always the drivers fault aye. They have 13 hours to get often 14+hrs worth of work done, delays are unacceptable, and its all beyond the drivers control they dont make up the load shedule.
My old boss would ring every other hour " where are you- whats taking so long- hurry up there are people waiting for you" nearly every other hour, it got to the point where I simply didnt answer the phone, and when I did I told the boss " youve got GPS in the truck look on that, youll get the feking load when I get there" and hang up. I quit not long after that. I belive alot of people dont realise how much pressure bosses put their drivers under, its ok for bosses in their office chairs they dont get the speeding ticket or risk their lives by speeding into corners ect. At the end of the day it all comes down to the driver, personally I couldnt give a feck if people are waiting for my load, I never risk my life.

flack88, Jun 12, 8:21am
Yeah because their carting it for peanuts,i give a "feck" if your in a hurray too ,when cross the centerline towards me!

joopa, Jun 12, 8:24am
Mostly because heaps of trucks used in NZ are AU/US made with technology from 1960's. Take any modern euro truck and you get very little engine brake noise with way better fuel efficiency and comfortable cabins.