Hilux smoke

blackbnz, Feb 16, 8:49am
hi wondering about my 05 4x4 sheep shagger blowing a large amount of smoke on start up !! any ideas gys thanks

mugenb20b, Feb 16, 8:52am
Replace injector seats and seals. Very common problem, need to be done every 45 000kms. Failure to do so will stuff your engine. Carbon leaks passed the seats, gets into the crankcase and blocks up oil pick up screen. Guessing it's a diesel, right!

andy61, Feb 16, 8:57am
Mugenb20b-what causes them to blow blue smoke!-seen a couple of sheepshaggers blowing blue smoke including 1 that had brand new rego plates on it.Would be enough to make me think about buying a Ranger.

blackbnz, Feb 16, 8:58am
hi mugen is this normal for seals smoke clears straight away yes diesel

mugenb20b, Feb 16, 9:07am
Burning oil. I'm guessing when the engine is off, a few drops of oil find their way passed the injector seats and get into the combustion chamber. So first thing in the morning, you will get blue smoke. Blue smoke at all times means that the engine is about to die. Injectors also have rubber O rings higher up to stop the oil from going down, but these O rings perish and also fail due to seat failure (carbon from the blow by gases cook them).

If you are looking at buying a ute, definitely go for the Ranger. It's much better and nicer in my opinion. I work at a country garage where most of our clents' vehicles are utes. From what I've seen, Mazda BT50 / Bounty (same as Ford Ranger / Courier) have been the most reliable by far and cost the least to keep on the road. Common rail diesel engined Nissans and Toyotas were the worst.

mugenb20b, Feb 16, 9:08am
It's "normal" for the engine to smoke if the seat/s have already failed. So, they shouldn't smoke and should start quietly and smoothly.

blackbnz, Feb 16, 9:09am
hi mugen is this normal for seals smoke clears straight away yes diesel chap i bought truck from said he had replaced injectors 20000 k ago

mugenb20b, Feb 16, 9:10am
How many k's has it done in total!

blackbnz, Feb 16, 9:12am
240000 gulp

gadgit3, Feb 16, 9:18am
If the injectors have been replaced then the seats have not been cleaned right before fitting the new seat washers. The first of the D4D engines had a real issue with needing seat washers but if you have the latest revised washer fitted you should never have to do them again.

mugenb20b, Feb 16, 9:19am
Well, it shouldn't smoke at all. May I suggest you go and see your local mechanic first thing in the morning and ask him to check it out. It's not a major job to replace the seats, but each injector will need to be removed in order to check them. Once removed, new seats will be required anyway.

We've rebuilt one engine so far, at 180 000 kms. It cost the owner around $9k. Injectors are $900 each (and there's 4 of them), but you can get aftermarket ones a lot cheaper.

gadgit3, Feb 16, 9:20am
Oh and yes if the smoke is only on start up then it's seat washers. But if it blowes smoke on the run then you have a carbon blocked inlet manifold.

gadgit3, Feb 16, 9:24am
And just another note. If the injectors have been replaced and it still smokes on start up then the tech that fitted the injectors forgot to install the o-rings to the new injector. the first ones that came out from Denso had no o-rings fitted and alot of people just wacked them in without checking.

blackbnz, Feb 16, 9:29am
ok heading too toyota in the morning

mugenb20b, Feb 16, 9:33am
The last engine I replaced the seats on, I allowed some oil to drip into the cylinder (no other way). So I thought I'd blow it out with compressed air, and I thought I did it thoroughly. I fitted new seats, refitted injectors etc. And here comes the best part. I cranked the key and heard a clunk. Man, I was shitting bricks, I hydrolocked the bastard. I thought I stuffed it. But, we left it in gear and dragged it in the yard until the motor freed up, she was sweet as. So next time, I'll be more cautious.

gadgit3, Feb 16, 9:35am
It happens man. And surprising how little amount of oil can stop 'em

mugenb20b, Feb 16, 9:36am
Yep, lesson learnt, never again.