Cycle Safety - Road Position

pettigh, Feb 21, 7:47am
I was recently cycling along the open road (rangiora-woodend rd) on a long clear straight early morning just as the sun was rising so visibility quite good. I managed to get clipped by a car doing 100 km/h thankfully by the wing mirror on my leg, so no serious injury, just stiff and sore.The driver did stop and help all was a ok.

My question is could road position have affected the outcome!I was riding on the white line right next to the gravel strip with my road bike, so was as far left as practicle, would it have been better to have been riding about 1 m out!Would the driver have more likely seen me!
If he hadn't seen me while further out I probably wouldn't be having the chance for this conversation right now as I'm sure another 10cm to the right and I would have been dead or worse.

gammelvind, Feb 21, 8:47am
A metre out and he probably would have clipped you with the centre of his grill. The question I have is not your position on the road, but why were you invisible to him!

johnf_456, Feb 21, 8:49am
What sort of clothing were you wearing

andrea_w, Feb 21, 8:52am
Sun strike, maybe!

bashfulbro, Feb 21, 8:55am
did you have radar on your bike to know he was doing 100 km/h !

legaxy, Feb 21, 9:03am
Many drivers seem to assume they can fit within the same lane as a cyclist even on roads with narrow lane markings.In these cases I will 'take the lane', ride further out, this requires a motorist to make a concious decision to move around me rather than attempt an unsafe pass within the lane.If there is room to move over and let vehicles pass in a situation where there is oncoming traffic I'll definitely do so.It's safer for both parties for the vehicle to make a deliberate over taking manouver than trying to fit within the lane and clipping the cyclist.

buyme3, Feb 21, 9:34am
stay off the road or pay reg for using it like the rest of us