New SUV/RV

______m______, Feb 28, 6:34am
My old car has just died @:o( its time to purchase an SUV/RV thats going to last the distance, cost about 20,000. What do you think is the best type on the market! Make, model and year preferably! Appreciate your views

mugenb20b, Feb 28, 6:38am
I'd like a bit more info. Will you be towing any heavy trailers! Will it be used off road much! How many seats!

______m______, Feb 28, 6:41am
Needs to be 5 seats,very infrequently towing trailer (once a month). Wont be used off road. Christchurch roads (just as bad as off road). Have two wee kiddies 21 months, 3 years. (wife killed in CTV building)

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 6:50am
Sorry to hear about your wife m.
In terms of comfort/safety/reliability and value for money I would actually suggest you spend about 12K on a Volvo XC70. You could get an absolutely top example for that.

The Volvo is a bit "forgotten" in NZ and as a result tends to be a lot more car for a lot less money. So long as you service it they last very well and will give you all the comfort and safety of a very nice car which some of the cheaper SUV's tend to lack.

Parts are a little dearer for the Volvo but they ave very good on fuel so running costs overall are much of a muchness. You are also paying a lot less in the begining too so an extra $100 a year or whatever it comes out to is here nor there.

The only real weak point with the Volvo is the transmissions don't like not being serviced when they should be. So make sure you get one with service history, or get one with lowish km's and service it straight away.

I think you will be blown away with how nice they are when you drive one.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

savanna71, Feb 28, 6:54am
Outlander

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 6:57am
Another really good option, especially if you want great fuel economy is an Audi Allroad Diesel. WIth the Audi you are better to spend closer to your 20K and get a really top example. They are a lovely machine, lots of power and excellent on fuel.
Its all about getting a good well serviced one though. BTW, the 2.7 Petrol ones are quite something as well but the running costs of the diesel are much better.

mugenb20b, Feb 28, 6:58am
I'm sorry to hear that.

But, on the topic of SUVs, I'd be looking at Honda CRV, Toyota RAV-4 and Suzuki Grand Vitara. My pick would be the Vitara, because it has a separate ladder frame chassis (giving the body lots of strength) and a low range option, which is very good for low speed - high torque requirement (Volvos and VWs don't have these 2 features). That's just my opinion, but at the end of the day, you need to feel comfortable with your new car. Good luck.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 7:04am
If you were actually full on offroading I would agree with muganb.
For the type of use you have poster one the Volvo/VW Audi is actually going to have a safety advantage through not having the ladder chassis etc. Its basically trading comfort and safety for the last word in hard core offroading. Interestingly though, on snow/ice bound roads the Audi will generally have more traction than the serious offroaders. its due to a more clever 4WD system.

Anyhow enough from me. I have said my bit, I will answer your questions if you have any though. Just be aware these boards have a number of trolls who will hassle anything not Japanese.

mugenb20b, Feb 28, 7:06am
OT, but no matter how clever the 4WD system is, once the Audi bellies out, she ain't going nowhere.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 7:25am
Yes. while the ride height is definitely higher than a regular car its not a Hilux on stilts. The wheelbase is quite long too which dosn't help.

I havn't been to Christchurch recently. I am assuming the worst rubble is bulldozed out of the way leaving lots of big pot holes, cracks and uneven surfaces where the road has pitched up and compressed. The Audi/Volvo will be excellent at smoothing that sort of stuff out.

However. if there is still rubble and serious drops etc then sure muganb is right on the money, you need something hard core for that. Likewise if you have to go where there are regular big slips following aftershocks that havn't been cleared yet.

Just a matter of weighing up what the conditions are and what it is you want from the car.

mike77, Feb 28, 9:04am
Is that a new Tui Billboard!
No need to reply to this, but I bet ya will.

msigg, Feb 29, 4:50am
A late model hyundaiwould be good.Toyota prado is one of the best, outlanders are good too but not as ruggured as the prado.