Tractor Air Con Peoples

pup2, Feb 28, 2:06am
Got told about about a summer or winter setting for the ac in a tractor today. Common problem is the farmer changes it to the summer setting (once summer comes round), and the ac doesn't work very good any more. Turns out, summer setting is only to be used once outside ambient temp hits +30deg. Very few days like that down here normally. It was 2nd hand info from someone who also hasn't come across it before, so no idea what breed has this feature. Has anyone seen one of these systems before!

bubbles244, Feb 28, 2:12am
what sort of tractor we talking here! not a toy one is it!

pup2, Feb 28, 2:21am
Nope. Not a toy. Possibly Case or maybe Deutz tractors as i haven't had much to do with those ones

elect70, Feb 28, 3:34am
The reason is tokeep the shaft seal on the compressor wet with the oil , other wisedries out &leaksthe refrigerant . . Doesnt matter what the ambient is use it whenever like .Freinds inwheat belt in aus run 1of those big 500 hptri trackthingsfor hydro seeding, &hires it to other farmersall GPs& compcontrolled& works 24 /7in seasonthe air con running continously

NZTools, Feb 28, 4:27am
I spend my days (and nights during silage season) at the helm of a Duetz Fahr, and occasionaly a Case if I cant avoid it. Neither have a winter/summer setting on the air con, nor have I heard of it on a tractgor before.

slacker8, Feb 28, 6:09am
I drive about in a john Deere 6620 premium and it has the winter, summer setting, and from memory you only use the summer setting over 28 degrees, bit of a waste when ya live in Te Anau.

pup2, Feb 28, 7:47am
Yea, that's it.
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMAL152775_19/OU12401_0000B23_19_01JUL02_1.htm
Anyone able to enlighten me as to why the ac doesn't work properly when the switch is set to summer and it's only 20deg outside!

gunhand, Feb 28, 7:53am
Maybe its set for other countrys where they get real hot weather all the time and 20 25 isnt considered all that hot.

cuda.340, Feb 28, 8:03am
i'd be interested to know what the switch does too. the only thing i can think is that it has a 2 speed fan on the condenser & when the switch is activated it runs at a higher speed. this might drop the head press & make the unit over condense thus reducing the cooling ability.

pup2, Feb 28, 8:04am
But what factor does it change in the air con system! Does it change the thermo switch cut out, thus cause the evap to freeze in the colder weather! That would put a bit of pressure on the compressor. Boss has replaced a couple of compressor's on 6620's while I was away

pup2, Feb 28, 6:38pm
Only 1 fan at the condenser which is the main mechanical fan that is attached to the motor and run by the fan belt. It's got you thinking as well now eh.

cuda.340, Feb 29, 2:42am
has the compressor got a solenoid on one of the heads that acts like an unloader, so when it gets real hot the second stage kicks in to double its pumpability!

pup2, Feb 29, 4:08am
Nope. Looked at one of the blown compressors and it's just std. Nothing extra. I may just have to wait till we get another one to work on, and have a nosey at what the switch does. If it did affect the thermo switch on the evap, causing it to freeze up in cooler weather (possibly 2 thermo switches on the evap), that would explain the poor performance when switched to summer (when it isn't hot enough), and also the blown compressors. But that would be a stupid idea.

elect70, Feb 29, 4:16am
I think winter setting would just allow the comp to run for shortburstsprobably wouldnt notice it If it gottoo cold ( iced evaporator ) riskliquid refrigerant returning to the comp& cant compress liquidso- bang .