New Jag: Jaguar XF Sportbrake

zak410, Feb 29, 9:06am

gman35, Feb 29, 9:33am
As much as I like the XF sedan (especially the latest facelifted model which pretty much has the "XJ" headlights that were on the original concept , I nearly puked when the "90's Hyundai copies" appeared on the original XF) , the "blacked out" C-pillars don't look much better on it than on the XJ , and those tail lights look too big. Still think it's hard to beat the rear 1/4 view of the 5ish yr old Alfa 159 as far as estates go. And what the hell does "Sportbrake" mean ! (Some of the old Brit cars used the term "Shooting brake" which was even worse).

gammelvind, Feb 29, 3:06pm
Looks like commadore wagon with an audi nose

richardmayes, Feb 29, 6:43pm
But y'see gman, A "shooting brake" really really is a thing, that is a proper noun as old as motor cars themselves. Land-owning gentlemen used them to drive around their estates with all their guns in the back for shooting pheasants, hence the "shooting" part.

It doesn't roll off the tongue as naturally as "Sedan" or "Coupe" or "Estate" but that's only because there are very few around (outside of coachbuilt specials) so it's not a word in everyday usage.

This car isn't one of those because it's got 4 doors and a tailgate, a shooting brake has 2 doors and a tailgate.

"Sportbrake" is a silly modernism, but then Holden are calling their station wagon a "Sportwagon" which is no different, and no-one complains about that.

richardmayes, Feb 29, 6:45pm
In other news, what an utterly frikkin SWEET looking car!

It has the same sort of quality as the BMW 5 series, it looks like a real work of art i.e. the sort of thing you would expect to get if you spent $100k plus on a new car.

fiatracer, Feb 29, 6:49pm
this Jag owner has never warmed to the XF. but that wagon looks better than the sedan I reckon

rsr72, Feb 29, 7:15pm
A station wagon by any name.
-looks like any Commodore wagon.

sifty, Feb 29, 7:16pm
it's pretty.

gman35, Feb 29, 7:19pm
Well I think the sedan is one of the better ones at the rear , but with my afore-mentioned Alfa 159 , the sedan looks like they just gave up at the end of the rear doors, but the wagon/estate/brake looks the biz !

gman35, Feb 29, 7:26pm
Thanks Richard , yes I was trying to remember exactly WHICH Jag I saw the "shooting" term used for years ago , and am pretty sure it was a concept 1985ish XK model which I thought looked OK actually.

fiatracer, Feb 29, 8:57pm
wasn't the after-market XJS "wagon/coupe" called a shooting brake!

gman35, Feb 29, 9:09pm
That's the one I mean , but couldn't remember if they actually made any , (suppose I could google it of course).

fiatracer, Feb 29, 9:10pm
oh, the Lynx Eventer.

texastwo, Feb 29, 9:17pm
I always envisaged these sitting in swampy water with a couple of shotguns pointed skywards a little after May 1st

elect70, Mar 1, 3:06am
Pom crowd make a beautiful range roveras a shooting brake,can even specify thegunsinmahogany racks., also has the necessary brandycabinet.just what country gentlemen need .