1995 2.4ZL LWB Toyota Hiace ball joint bolts.

tmenz, Mar 2, 7:44am
Does anyone know the correct torque figure for the 4 bolts that fasten the front upper ball joint to the upper suspension arm!
I have Googled it but no help there!
I have a workshop manual for the earlier model Hiace which gives a figure of 28 ft lbs (38 Nm) but this seems a bit low - the earlier ball joint is all inboard whereas the later one is a cantilever style.
The figure for the earlier lower ball joint, which is a cantilever style, is 53 ft lbs (73Nm) which seems more likely.
The bolts are 10mm high tensile.

intrade, Mar 2, 7:50am
you have not done mutch stuff like this have you! you use the fealometer in your hand and torque with a normal spanner if you must use torque then there isa scale as to what a 10mm can handle befor it brakes and what the torque is for 10mm diameter . i only torque up bolts inside engines and the ones on the rims of cars rest is done by fealometer , sometimes you strip bolts but mostly when try to undo rusty small ones.

mugenb20b, Mar 2, 7:53am
No idea, I just make them tight.

intrade, Mar 2, 7:56am
10mm is the thread right not the diameter of the socket you use on the bolt! and its fine thread or normal!

intrade, Mar 2, 7:56am
10mm is the thread right not the diameter of the socket you use on the bolt! and its fine thread or normal! if they are 10mm fine threadthen you can use a strongarm and unleash all your almighty strenght to tighten it without rounding the head of the bolts and that be ok you wont brake em and they only go as tight no more .

a.woodrow, Mar 2, 8:17am
Tighten it until your elbow clicks

jmma, Mar 2, 8:31am
FT

tmenz, Mar 2, 8:56am
OK, Thanks.
I have done up a lot of nuts and bolts in my time and have a fairly good 'feel' for what's tight!
I just like to get them right, especially when they're in critical positions - like holding the wheels on!
They're 10mm diameter and are finer than 10mm ISO coarse so I guess they're ISO fine. The nuts are flanged and fit a 14mm socket.
2 of the bolts are splined and needed a lot of spanner power to pull the splines into the ball joint flange and bring the heads flush.