Bighorn To Wreckers (scrap value)

ramblerrebel304, Mar 3, 7:29pm
Hi there, Would $300 to $500 be a fair price for a dismantler to pay for a complete 95 Bighorn Diesel,With blowen turbo, Is lotus model so has some xtras. Minus wheels!
Just wieghing up some options to try replace with another vehicle.
Thanks

usdefault, Mar 3, 7:53pm
Part it out for a few weeks then sell what's left to the scrap dealer. You may get more for it that way if you are prepared to put up with the hassle of pulling bits off it for a while.

headcat, Mar 3, 8:07pm
The going rate for these seems to be around $3000 or $4000. You're taking one hell of a loss. Why not fix it!

ramblerrebel304, Mar 3, 8:12pm
Good points, It belongs to my parents and they can bearly keep up with R.U.Cs and REGOs, Andwe have no money to fix. So looking for a bit of a down size.

m16d, Mar 3, 8:22pm
Sell it as is. with wheels on of course.

ramblerrebel304, Mar 3, 8:44pm
Only trouble is that could be a long process selling a broken bighorn formax $1000! Can easily get $500 for wheels and tyres, So i was thinking quickest way was to send it to the scrap, But obviously want to try for as much as we can.

usdefault, Mar 3, 8:52pm
Your catalytic coverter, if it has one, could be worth 100 bucks alone at a scrap dealer. You could pull off all the doors, tailgate, bonnet, windscreen etc and store them quite easily. Scrap dealer will still pick up the shell for it's weight in steel.

usdefault, Mar 3, 8:54pm
Having said that if it's tidy and only has a blown turbo someone may well offer you up to 1000 for it as is. Does it still drive!

3tomany, Mar 3, 9:10pm
i had a surf with a blown head and in rough condition. so stuck it on trademe with 500 start price and 1500 buy now. someone pushed buy now inside half an hour leaving me thinking maybe it was to cheap but wreckers had offered me 600 so i was happy

snj11, Mar 3, 9:30pm
Those motors are worth good money for those trucks, someone will pay good money to wreck it out.

intrade, Mar 3, 9:58pm
depends what engine it has fitted but yea if its just the turbo then 1500 should be possibile or swap for a petrol 4 cilindertoyota car is what i would try and do.

kazbanz, Mar 3, 11:20pm
OP -- Honestly I would reccomend Fit some wheels--any wheels so it will rolland then taking some clear pics of the vehicle. Advertise iton her $1 reserve

quickbuck, Mar 3, 11:24pm
Or advertise it as Big Horn Wheels, and make a condition that they must take the whole vehicle
;-)
Then again, that makes it a little harder to ship.

singing1, Mar 4, 2:04am
Sell it right here on Trade me.you might be surprised.

sheepey, Mar 4, 3:22am
Pull off the turbo, send it to Fred at the one stop turbo shop in Christchurch, get it fixed, re fit it and get several times what you invest by selling it as a complete and running vehicle with a reconned turbo!
How crazy to trash a vehicle in this day and age for such a small repair.Surely there is more to it than that!Fred might even be able to do you a turbo on exchange.

NZTools, Mar 4, 4:29am
You can buy a used turbo on here for 150 to 200 bucks. Even if you paid a mechanic the 2 hours labour wich is about all it would take to replace the blown unit, it will still only cost you a max of $350 to $400 to fix. Thats a whole lot cheaper than selling it to a wrecker and then buying a smaller (read more expensive) car.

Please dont be one of these people who finances a $10,000 car to save $1000 a year in running costs.

franc123, Mar 4, 4:40am
When you visit the local scrap dealers its amazing whats there, what condition its in and why it ended up there, many cars are still quite decent and in need of fairly minor repairs and would still be good transport for someone, instead we ship them back to asia or the middle east as scrap and moan about the cost of new imports. I laugh at the suggestion that there are shortages of used cars in NZ, there isn't, theres only a shortage of knowhow and motivation from the DIY public/lazy car owners to fix them, and the fact that many are dumb enough to let the rego's lapse. More fool Kiwi.

ramblerrebel304, Mar 4, 5:43am
This is all true and does happen, But this old girl has traveled over 440kms and has lots of other problems now, Such as other bad oil leaks, Electrics, Exhaust needs repair The list goes on, It truely has served its purpose over past 8years.
P.S I wasn't going to tell the wrecker aboat the other problems, Because they are always ripping us off right!

cassandra13, Mar 4, 7:33am
pick a part paid us 400 for a stuffed serena with a cracked head, so id say youd get more