2000 hiace. 5l diesel. low water level light prob!

flashgordon_nz, Mar 25, 9:18am
evening all. lots of cursing, swearing, and one de-nailed thumb this weekend. Radiator in my 2000 hiace started leaking. NZ new, 5l diesel, LH184, Oh, and its red.
I got a new FENIX brand radiator and fitted it up this weekend. Now, before fitting up the top radiator hose, i filled it being elevated, hooked everything up, checked for crimped lines, and started her up. the low water light didn't go out. had the heater circulating. got the temp gauge coming up towards normal, so checked for air under the thermostat incase it had air locked. all good. Took it for a drive, no hassles, everything normal, except this blimmin low water level light on the dash.

Any ideas!

All helpful input and advice appreciated.

jmma, Mar 25, 9:23am
Topped up the reserve tank!

flashgordon_nz, Mar 25, 9:24am
yep. thats all topped up.

hamishcookie, Mar 25, 9:26am
Unplugged something! I would check the remote bottle too make sure the sensor is plugged in or failing that if the sensor used to be in the radiator the new one might not have one being aftermarket!

flashgordon_nz, Mar 25, 9:28am
yeah, i figure the sensor must be in that bottle. didn't unplug anything, except for the temp sensor when i checked for air under the thermostat. but thats all plugged in and working well again. nothing in the old radiator. maybe its just a case of it has jammed down.

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 25, 8:26pm
Sure it's not a water trap light!

the_don_61, Mar 25, 8:38pm
LH184 vans have faulty temp gauges. take dash cluster in and get it checked by a auto sparky.

way to tell if its faulty is cold start the van drive to the end of your road (say 100 house long street)If temp gauge is on normal .its faulty.

flashgordon_nz, Mar 26, 6:43am
Picture is of a radiator.Came on when it started loosing water.

dent, Mar 26, 6:49am
The hiace overflow bottles do have faults with the low level sensor. Was the light on before. If it wasnt maybe just the sensors stuck down. Is it the one with the overflow bottle in the b pillar behind the passengers seat!

flashgordon_nz, Mar 26, 7:18am
nah. light came on when the radiator dumped its water. only been on once before, in the previous 600,000 odd kms that i have owned it. Im picking the sensor is just stuck down. yep, the overflow bottle is in the passengers pillar.