Power steering locking up?

edkemper, Mar 30, 7:44am
I dont know, but my power steering is cutting out and is hard to turn some corners, its also making the steering wheel creak when I turn but then it goes back to normal! does anyone know what this means!

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 30, 7:48am
Low on power steering fluid which is the same as automatic transmission fluid and also needs to be checked with the engine running. In which case you need to investigate where it has gone.

jmma, Mar 30, 7:50am
1957 Vauxhall's didn't have power steering (o:

edkemper, Mar 30, 7:56am
Thanks will have a look at that!

unbeatabull, Mar 30, 8:01am
Thinking they were hinting that it would help us if you told us what your car was that is having the problems

edkemper, Mar 30, 8:08am
its a 95 fairmont

jmma, Mar 30, 8:11am
Have you checked for a loose belt!

hamishcookie, Mar 30, 8:18am
Careful not to over fill it if you top it up or it likes to go all over your alternator.

unbeatabull, Mar 30, 8:25am
Check drivebelt, P/S Fluid level, otherwise your looking at a new steering rack - fairly common on that model

tonyrockyhorror, Mar 30, 11:40am
In that case start by looking at the pressure switch on the steering rack (drivers side) for a leak. They're notorious for it. It's the exact same one as the one on the brake master cylinder that kills the cruise control.

panicky, Mar 30, 7:18pm
The pumps also leak as people put normal dx3 type trans fluid in when they're supposed to have type F trans fluid/power steering fluid.