Possible chassis bent in minor accident.

tonyt_nz, Apr 7, 4:05am
Hi, just wanting some opinions. My mum had someone hit her rear wheel from the side at a Give Way. It wasn't hit with massive force, but enough to jolt the car and ding the bumper on the car at fault. The car (A 96' Suzuki Samurai) drove well/fine on the way home, but she said the affected wheel and or side chassis isn't in the same position as the other unaffected rear wheel. So even though the Samurai drives fine, is it likely to be a right off! Can it be repaired! (If the chassis or axel is bent a little)

Cheers.

pollymay, Apr 7, 4:07am
Get it looked at, could just be a bent arm or subframe. You won't know till it's on a lift.

tonyt_nz, Apr 7, 4:12am
Yeah, insurance told here to get it assessed, i guess i was just seeing if its likely to be bad news! She loves the Samurai, very hard to replace! hehe

berg, Apr 7, 4:12am
Full chassis on the Samuri. My guess is it may have bent the diff mounts and or damaged the wheel rim. Get it checked out for a bit of safety's sake

ema1, Apr 7, 4:16am
Go to your insurance company with details of the accident and details of the other vehicle if you have them.
Who in this case didn't Give Way and what side of the vehicle got hit!

shuddupowh, Apr 7, 10:20pm
Even if the chassis is damaged, some panelbeaters can repair them, but is costly - so insurance may write it off (due to repair costs) but then you could buy it back and take it with some of the insruance payout to get the work done.

tonyt_nz, Apr 8, 3:21am
On closer inspection, it does look like the side that was hit, the Diff mount is on an angle. The other side is straight. We'll see on Tuesday i guess! Thanks for the replies.

lookoutas, Apr 8, 9:34pm
Take it to an expert.