Lcd screen on jap imports

don1751, Apr 7, 3:51am
Been looking at an 06 mazda 6 wagon on trademe and it has a lcd screen at the top of the centre console. The NZ new ones don't seem to have this. What is it for! Are these good wagons. I want something to replace my "98 Camry. More interested in comfort than cornering.

geedubu, Apr 7, 3:54am
Japanese satnav & various Japanese data.Absolutely and unarguably of no use and adds nothing to value of car (but doesn't detract from it).

gammelvind, Apr 7, 9:31am
Just ripped my sat nav/tv/cd/tape/AM/FM out as apart from the radio and tape deck most of the rest was a waste of space. JVC make very nice double sized head unit that fits the huge hole and is reasonably priced.

neo_psy, Apr 7, 11:32am
I'd be looking at chucking an aftermarket double-DIN reversing camera screen in that hole. That's what I want to do at some point.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 7, 8:28pm
someone told me you could get a cd which converts it in to english. im yet to find one though. i dont think they exist

gammelvind, Apr 7, 8:29pm
I think you are very correct

jfa182, Apr 7, 8:59pm
Some of the 6 and 3s SatNav double as a reverse camera. So check it out by selecting reverse when the screen is on.

the-lada-dude, Apr 8, 4:34am
will it go digital !
will mounting a dish and converter top box help !

motorboy2011, Apr 8, 7:55am
to me it detracts the can in value on cars where the screen in Japanese also controls the heater and air-con etc

flybye_in_a_rx7, Apr 8, 8:19am
i wouldnt go that far but they are a bit of a pain. manual knobs are much easier

motorboy2011, Apr 8, 8:25am
try changing the temp and radio station on something like nissan cedric that has an all in one dash unit, TOTAL pain in the ass, about 4 different menus, and then sub menus after that, all in jap, to do anything.

horsepower7, Apr 8, 8:31am
they are of no use, you can get a "pocket" put in to replace them tho