Reusing old air filter

Page 2 / 2
ema1, Apr 6, 10:15am
False economy and pointless, go buy a new one like another poster mentioned.
Actually blowing it out isn't good because the dust the flies around when you are doing that can settle on the inside of the filter and be ingested into the engine, no matter how small amount up dust settles on the inside of the filter ain't good .full stop.
The discoloration on the filter element means it's past it's use by date and filter replacement is cheap insurance in my book.
All part of what you call routine maintenance which is all to commonly over looked by those who just drive their vehicles and penny pinch to their peril.

ema1, Apr 6, 10:27am
A lot of the Donaldson type filters as you say have clog indicators in their systems and also they are 2 stage and 3 stage filter systems , meaning they have inner filters inside the outer primary filters, these are only opened up when indicators show significant clogging as disturbance can introduce dust or particle contamination which is no good for engine reliability.
They can be cleaned to a fair degree by cyclo rinsing if their elements are not compromised but the de dusting of the elements by compressed air etc can be bad as there's no knowing what compressed air could do to compromise the filter elements or actually introduce dust onto the inner surfaces of the elements.
When dealing with mighty expensive truck and heavy machinery replacing filters even though dear cost wise is still cheap insurance when weighed up against the initial cost outlay and reliability of those large engines and costly repair or replacement bills that skimping may involve.

nzfatie, Apr 6, 11:29am
Air filters are such a waste of money if you drive on sealed roads.
Throw it away and save on maintenance and petrol. Old Honda's have a wire mesh over the carby intake, so you don't have to worry about sucking in leaves.lol

intrade, Apr 6, 8:26pm
if that information was corect then you would not have a dirty aircleaner to start with. So i think you got it myghty wrong there.

ema1, Apr 6, 11:10pm
Come back to us and report when your engine goes on the "Fritz." Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm that won't be long me thinks!

doriandarby, Apr 6, 11:36pm
Reporting back.

Went to supersheep and bought 4 new plugs (the old ones looked to be original ones - nice brown colour but eroded electrodes).The Ryoc air filter was priced at $35 so I decided to blow out the dirt from the old one and see how much there actually was - surprisingly not a lot.

Will use the old one until funds allow for a new filter (need to spend money on our other "better" car, this Honda is just a commuter one).

nzfatie, Apr 6, 11:50pm
Three types of materials float around in the air.soot, grit and pollen.
In dusty conditions an air filter is necessary to stop harmful grit getting in your engine.
Soot (the black stuff caught in your air filter) and pollen are harmless to your engine, as they're not abrasive.
So if you drive on sealed roads like me, an air filter isn't necessary.
Additionally it rains a lot in NZ, which regularly cleans the air.
Have been driving without an air filter for more than 3 years, no problems at all.more economical and save on maintenance.

bellky, Apr 7, 12:19am
Some truth to what you say. I've had a K&N on the old 8banger for 12 yrs and I clean it once and a while but it's never very dirty.

Edit to say done 100,000km in that time.

rlr29, Apr 7, 1:49am
Best advice so far.Old Honda sounds like a money pit that's going to be lucky to see its next birthday.200bux on plugs and filters better saved.

ema1, Apr 7, 2:00am
You certainly wouldn't get away with it in Central Otago where I come from as the air is mostly dry but when wind blows all sorts of dust in summer and soot particularly in winter are at high levels! You've only got to drive towards the sunrise or sunset to see the amount of dust particles there actually is at peak times in the air.
So it's top condition air filters installed all the way with my vehicles, other folks can please themselves, frankly I couldn't care less.