2 Litre 06 Hiaces good or bad

Page 1 / 3
jrd78, Apr 2, 10:58am
Been looking for a good Hiace for a little while now,as i keep my vans for years,was looking at older Hiaces [1999>models] but all seem to have huge k's on them or a heap of battle scars,so am thinking maybe a 2006 onwards 1TR-FE dohc 2 litre Hiace maybe an option, 136hp/182nm torque.Will be using for work [builder] which will be a huge step up from my trusty old sohc mazda bongo which i've had foryears.Any pros/cons with these vans! prefer to keep petrol and the 2.7's at this stage are 4>5k more.

74nova, Apr 2, 7:01pm
One of your fleet vans is petrol and we've never had any trouble with it. it gets serviced every 10K.

gadgit3, Apr 2, 7:06pm
I drive a 2.7 hilux and hiace as my work vehicles. They are not power houses but get the job done. The engine (even tho the power figgers look ok) is a lazy donk with good toque in the lower rev range. The 2Ltr might be a little thirsty compaired to the 2.7 only because of the drop in power but they are a good reliable engine.

jrd78, Apr 3, 2:57am
the 2.7 litre has 159hp and 244nm torque,which is 23hp more,so hp wise not much more,but the torque is just over a third more for the 2.7l but all alot less torque than the diesels.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 3:58am
The hilux has been left behind technology/safety wise and is absurdly over priced in NZ.

Take a common rail Fiat/Mercdes/VW for a run and you will be amazed at the difference. Also, talk to some people who are running these vans first hand, I am yet to find anyone who would change back. (you hear plenty of mates of a mates aunty's cousins stories though)

Compared to a Petrol Hiace you are going to be looking at about half the running costs and have a much nicer, more comfortable, safer and gruntier van to travel in. Plus you will potentially have massive towing capacity to boot. The petrol Toyota dosn't even come remotely close.

The interesting thing is the likes of the Diesel Ducato not only requires less servicing and is cheaper to run but they are more reliable as well. The Toyota common rail engines are a real "rush to market" effort as they try and catch up with modern diesel technology with little time and money to do so. Even die hard Toyota mechanics I have spoken to have been dissapointed, seeing quite major problems even at 30'000km.

Fiat by comparison invented the new common rail technology and got it right straight out of the box, they now have over 15 years of production experience. a significantly better track record than Toyota with this technology.

The Petrol Toyota's like you have in mind are not in the running either, not only do they directly cost a bomb in gas to run the servicing is still more costly than a good Diesel Euro Van.

Don't worry the trolls will be along to accuse me of Toyota bashing but if you do your own research, talk to people who own them etc you will be amazed. Just make sure you stick to those with actual first hand experience as those people ACTUALLY know, and their opinions are generally quite different.

BTW, there is a member on here sr2 who has a Ducato and tows a race car with it. If you search his name and ducato you will find some great info on what they are like.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

bellky, Apr 3, 4:18am
x1
Propaganda^

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 4:20am
Perhaps you would like to explain which bits are missleading!

The fuel economy!
The safety!
The 40'000km/2 year servicing (on the new shape 2.3)!
The comfort!
Handling!
Power!

The trolls have arrived. just as I foretold.

bellky, Apr 3, 4:28am
Propaganda does not necessarily have to be biased or misleading for it to still be propaganda. Self serving propaganda is what you push on here.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 4:36am
To be self serving wouldn't I need to benefit in some way from the OP buying a Ducato!

As a private individual who does not trade any kind of vehicle I fail to see how that can be so.

Although you have amused me with your attempt at trolling. I guess I have benefited in that regard.

bellky, Apr 3, 4:42am
Yes. My hunch is you do either directly or indirectly. I don't know what you do for a crust and it is none of my business, only that I did read once you said you 'just had one in' and it sounded like at your place of work.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 4:48am
You forgot the bit about me actually being a reptilian trying to take over the planet. *blink*. *twitch*.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 4:49am
Sorry OP. I will stop feeding the troll for my own amusement, and try and stop hijacking your thread now.

craig04, Apr 3, 5:01am
You're Toyota bashing. Stop it immediately!

stevo2, Apr 3, 5:09am
OP asked for opinions on Hiace petrols only, you knock them and tell him he needs a Fiat diesel. Who's the troll!

phillip.weston, Apr 3, 5:10am
As much as I hate to admit it, I think Jazz is putting forward a very good case for the Ducato. I agree the Hiace is quite over-priced for what little features you get. That Ducato is newer, more comfortable to drive, safer and probably just as cheap to service as the Hiace. Having driven both of those vans back to back (along with the Merc Vito, Merc Viano, Ford Transit and Renault Trafic/Opel Vivaro) it really makes the Hiace look like nothing special at all. Don't buy into the whole 'euros are unreliable' when it comes to commercials - if anything they know how to do the job better given they don't often have external space constraints like the Japanese vans and therefore offer more cargo room while being able to have an engine-forward design.

dent, Apr 3, 5:44am
What are the servicing cost on the likes of the duacto Jazz!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 6:20am
About as cheap as you get!

For starters the Hiace as far as I am aware is generally going to need 3-4 services to every service the Ducato requires. (Say, you did 20'000km a year that would be 4 x 10'000km services of the Hiace to every one of the Ducato)

Then when service does roll around on the Ducato it just takes a normal amount of oil and genuine filters etc are all very well priced. Oil is synthetic but nothing special and any decent late model vehicle needs synthetic anyway.

So, really when its boiled down unless you go somewhere that rips you off you should be paying the same or less in servicing than you do for your average car. (even a petrol car)

Compare the service costs to the Hiace and you should be miles ahead in terms of savings.

There really are no surprises as low cost long interval servicing was a key design criteria. The other really cool thing is that because Fiat have been making common rail diesels for over 15 years with long service intervals we know that the engines really do last the distance (crazy distances, as in the other side of a million km's easily). Even though you hardly ever lay a spanner on it.

EDIT,
Just a note to be fair, I am talking about the 2.3 Ducato as suggested above. While all common rail Ducato's are going to be better than the equivalent Hiace I seem to remember the early ones may have a 15'000km service interval.

That is still twice as good as the older Hiace though which if Diesel you really want to service every 7500km.

msigg, Apr 3, 6:27am
x1
Funny that ducato had to have its gearbox replaced at 110,000km , I don't think that is a good recomendation. Stick to the toyota . Theres a reason they hold there prices. Ask around.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 6:35am
LMAO,

Yes do ask around. the Hiace is far from being as reliable as its made out to be. The new Common rail ones are not even close to as reliable as the Ducato and the old ones are no better.

The gearbox thing is actually a joke. The reason being its quite common to see gearbox/clutch/transmission problems on ALL makes of powerful common rail vehicles.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle and everything to do with the driver.Because these engines develop eye watering amounts of power/torque at idle or just above you get monkeys breaking them by doing 2nd gear takeoffs and slipping the clutch while backing and turning. To put it into perspective these vehicles are often producing torque similar to what you would expect a petrol V8 to be develop at 4500rpm. except they do it just above idle. Just imagine how easy it would be to damage a manual transmission on a V8 by holding it at 4500rpm while doing a 2nd gear takeoff with a load on the back or slipping the clutch unnecessarily as you back and turn on a hill.

These problems are generally easily identified when you purchase the van and just as easily avoided. This is just another "story" (and there are many) you will hear from people who have never owned one and don't have a clue.

Here is a classic example of what happens when a knuckle dragger who can't drive gets in one. Look closely at the list and you will see all the breakages are what you expect with this sort of abuse.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/fiataggro.jpg

msigg, Apr 3, 6:42am
They have an inherent design fault. Stay away

matarautrader, Apr 3, 6:46am
I drive an 07 Hiace with the 3 litre D4D motor. Has a rattle on start up like it has a 3 inch piston in a 4 inch hole. Look back through some of the TM threads about Hiluxes. Theres a lot of unhappy people around. The gloss has well and truely gone from the "Toyota is best" theme

thejazzpianoma, Apr 3, 6:48am
Perhaps you would like to tell us exactly what this design fault is!
You know. the one with what is one of the most popular vans in the world. the same van that has one more accolades than any other of late!

Perhaps you can tell us from first hand experience from one that you have owned!

Quick. rush to google and find something. go. go. go!

mugenb20b, Apr 3, 6:49am
I haven't seen any problems with Hiace engines, but have so far replaced three sets of injector seat washers in Hiluxes.

dent, Apr 3, 7:51am
When did fiat start making the ducato and why dont we see many older ones on our roads!

mugenb20b, Apr 3, 7:53am
Oh, they rusted away.