Head gasket job for Subaru 250t

proracer, Apr 9, 5:04am
what cost, hrs involved in doing this.

phillip.weston, Apr 9, 5:51am
to do the job properly. which includes getting the heads all crack tested, new cambelt+water pump+tensioners, new updated steel head gaskets to replace the OE composite gaskets, clean out radiator etc you would be looking upwards of $2,000. Many mechanics would remove the whole motor and do the job on the bench with lots of room to play with rather than try do the job with the engine in situation. Either way I would estimate 8-12 hours.

spud1991, Apr 9, 6:31am
Yeah if your looking at getting a mechanic to do it, at least $1200.

mugenb20b, Apr 9, 8:51am
And the rest.

mugenb20b, Apr 9, 8:55am
It's an engine out job (that's the quickest way of doing it). As already mentioned $2000+ to repair. You need to allow at least three working days to get the job done, although, it takes around 12 to 15 hours of labour.

twink19, Apr 9, 7:50pm
probably cheaper to get another engine

mugenb20b, Apr 9, 9:38pm
and replace its head gaskets, cambelt and water pump before installing it. Oh, yeah.the labour ends up being the same anyway.

intrade, Apr 9, 9:43pm
1000$ was what i charged for cambelt oil seal full service on a normal subaru parts alone are a good 500$ its got 12 items to be fitted its like 2 engines in one , always wondered why they cost so mutch to service but now it made sence after i fitted all 12 itemsyou most likely got to remove the engine to do the heads . I know my mate has once tryed to remove heads on a turbo and the bolts wont come out they hit the chassy and even if you do get em out there is no room mutch faster when you whip the engine out.

loonee-dial-111, Apr 10, 12:39am
I did mine myself (250t)
Cam belt, bearings & tensioner + water pump + gaskets was around $700 from repco
Hours would be around 16+ So you could do it in a weekend. I downloaded the manual.

norcross, Apr 10, 12:44am
The engine does not need to come out, thats just lazy.I did the heads on a turbo WRX.Depends on what you want to spend but water pump / tensioner / cam-beltis good to do at the same time.

jokerboss, Apr 10, 12:46am
bin it

saki, Apr 10, 4:56am
didnt you do 250t gaskets a year or so ago!

mugenb20b, Apr 10, 5:06am
You are right, it doesn't need to come out, but it's quicker and easier for both parties. 4 bellhousing bolts, flexi plate bolts (if auto) two engine mount nuts, exhaust pipe, throttle cable, a few wires and fuel lines and out she comes. 2 hours max. And, no need to remove intake manifold.

proracer, Apr 10, 7:39am
I am.
$300 Scrap money

Gone Toyota now

ema1, Apr 10, 8:20am
Another one bites the dust.wise decision.

kazbanz, Apr 11, 3:08am
proracer you have made the decision to sell the car but you arent doing yaself favours deregistering it -you'll get better money with live rego

mugenb20b, Apr 11, 8:37am
Actually, they are.

rick07, Apr 11, 8:44am
Just as quick to do heads in place. Loosen off the head bolts and remove from the block threads, but just leave them in the heads. 2 hours max

phillip.weston, Apr 11, 8:58am
2 hours from start to finish to do both head gaskets on a DOHC 2.5 motor in a Legacy or Outback! No fricken way unless you are cutting some serious corners! You still need to remove the timing belt, the manifolds, clean up the block surfaces - and at an absolute minimum check the original heads for warpage or going soft (which they mostly do!) and check the cooling system (ie flush out radiator, replace thermostat) as that's what most likely would have caused the over-heating and blown head gasket in the first place. They are NOT an engine to be neglected or have quick fixes performed on them!

mugenb20b, Apr 11, 9:24am
LOL! I'd pay to see it! 2 hours!

carmedic, Apr 11, 10:12am
You don't have to, I'll go half.