My mitsi diamante 97

kucoo, Apr 18, 1:14pm
is overheating so Im guessing I need to replace the water pump. looks like a mission can anyone tell me how to get it out!

yogibearz, Apr 18, 5:21pm
if it is the water pump its a cambelt off job to access it. Any doubt about the belt you obviously do it at the same time. What engine is in the Diamante!

alan1111, Apr 18, 6:54pm
More to the cooling system than just a waterpump. Could be any of the following causing it to overheat.
1: Crook thermostat
2: A actual water leak ie split hose, hole in radiator
3: Blown headgasket
4: Blocked radiator
5: Waterpump
6: Electric fan not working
The list goes on my advice is to go see a mechanic and get their advice.

mugenb20b, Apr 18, 7:29pm
I totally agree with post #3. But, how did you go about testing the water pump that made you believe it's faulty!

panicky, Apr 18, 8:01pm
Also it is cambelt driven.I have seen 2 chinese waterpumps fail on these (1 with spectacular damage to everything in its path as the pulley came off) so make sure you get a quality Japanese pump if you do replace it.

kucoo, Apr 19, 12:02pm
can anyone tell me how to get it out though, cant afford a mechanic

alan1111, Apr 19, 6:16pm
Question is how did you come to the conclusion it is the waterpump !I got 28 years in the trade and i honestly doubt it is the waterpump causing the overheating. I only replace waterpumps during a cambelt change, engine rebuild or if it is leaking.
My advice is seek proffesional advice, Hell the problem could also be just a faulty radiator cap.

NZTools, Apr 19, 7:37pm
If you dont know how to get it out, you cant afford NOT to use a mechanic. But like everyone else is telling you on here, it is very unlikely to be the waterpump.

kucoo, Apr 22, 12:01pm
when the motors running I can see water where the pump is, theres nothing wrong with the radiator or any of the hoses. cm belt needs doing anyway so.

thunderbolt, Apr 22, 12:29pm
So the water pump is leaking maybe.
WIth regard to replacing said item, if you need to ask on here then the job of replacing the pump and timing belt are outside of your ability. The set up and timing of the engine from the timing belt are critical and too expensive to get wrong.

kucoo, Apr 22, 12:50pm
my husband is doing it he knows about timing etc but cant get the water pump out, apparently its different than other motors hes worked on. There is no way we can take it to a mechanic I cant even really afford the new pump and belt

thunderbolt, Apr 22, 12:54pm
Will also need the "hydraulic" tensioner, as it is not recommended to re-use this item.
Again, sounds like you dont have the resources to perform this task.

kucoo, Apr 22, 2:20pm
maybe not but I really dont have a choice

intrade, Apr 22, 7:39pm
waterpump i just removed the tensioner on some mitsubishi engine of a new naigbour with no money to get to the last bolt from waterpump. You have to screw the tensioner back inn while you have it clamped with light force in vice and reinstall the pin for assembly to not damage the hydraulic tensioner if it has one. I needed a sealpick to rotate the small tensioner pin while i squeezed it back.
pin can be heavy paperclip you pull it out to let it tension, I set marks on tdc and made a few chalk marks on belt and pulleys also to be sure cam and crank did not shift while cambelt was off

thunderbolt, Apr 22, 8:30pm
I have seen several mitsi's jump teeth after re-using the tensioner as intrade has suggested.
As already stated, Not recpmmended to reuse.

therafter1, Apr 23, 12:52am
On a lot of the Mitsi V motors there is a phillips screw holding the pump from the back of the housing, you have to pull the whole housing out with the pump still attached to get at the screw.