Replacement for lights inside spoiler?

purplegoanna, Apr 16, 3:44am
do i have to get the lights for the model of the car or just any old replacement that fits.high stop brake lights

a18a, Apr 16, 3:45am
depends on the car/spoiler fitted

n1smo_gtir, Apr 16, 3:47am
what car do you have for a start!, ususally spoiler lights accessible through removeal of 2 or so screws on each side from bottom else it's clipped in. if your spoiler lights are LED's it maybe cheaper to check the wreckers and get the whole part replaced vs paying an auto sparky unless you are familiar with electronics.

purplegoanna, Apr 16, 3:49am
r33 skyline.(minute i usually mention that word the price usually sky rockets) hubby seems to think he could replace just the lights himself if its at all possible.

purplegoanna, Apr 16, 3:58am
just checked the skyline owners forum and they can be pulled apart and fixed if not destroyed by water etc.

purplegoanna, Apr 16, 4:17am
r spoilers glued, screwed on or have rubber poppers!

purplegoanna, Apr 16, 4:39am
neva mind its off.

andrea_w, Apr 16, 6:06am
You can possibly repair it if you have time. You will need to split the clear red plastic from the backing black plastic (they are glued together), a sharp knife works well to split the two parts.
When my old R33s brake light stopped working I did exactly that ^^^, there was a dead resister on the circuit board which cost very little from Jaycar, I soldered it in and had a working light again!
Nissan wanted over $300 for a brand new item (going back a few years now though)
If you'd rather buy a second hand item and If yours is a 2 door, I can tell you that both Series 1 and Series 2 high stop lights are exactly the same even though the spoiler is a different shape. I'm not sure about the interchangeability between 4 door S1/S2 high stop lights sorry.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 16, 8:33am
Op is urs a r33 coupe or 4 dr I'm on skylines down under so i can hav a look in the for sale section. You can slso try picka part or all nissins. I had a r33 s2 for a while a while ago.

xs1100, Apr 16, 9:25am
is it aftermarket or genuine spoiler,what are the marks on the light

purplegoanna, Apr 16, 9:06pm
im pretty sure it the genuine one, this car hasnt been tampered with in any way,,its got nissan on the actual light casing itself. it a 2 door r33. andrea_w it was your post in another thread that got us onto pulling it apart ourselves.thankys

purplegoanna, Apr 16, 9:36pm
we've got it off and got the curcuit hopefullly this works cause some of the prices ive been quoted r beyond ridiculous!

ianrich, Apr 16, 10:22pm
Replacement cost for one in my car was going to be around $550, so for $40 I got an auto sparky to put a glue on LED strip under the lens over the old lights. Still looks the same from the outside but at a fraction of the cost.

purplegoanna, Apr 17, 1:19am
thats along the lines of what we were thinking of in the first place.will try that if this dosnt work.

purplegoanna, Apr 17, 1:42am
used my trump card and doing it my way, got the strip for $16 and will just replace the led panel then put it all back together.THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED.saves the $90-$150 the wreckers were going to charge me for a second hand light panel!

elect70, Apr 17, 1:49am
JustLEDssget them from any auto electrical parts store, but tricky to get out & replace tho

purplegoanna, Apr 17, 1:58am
not really inside the light casing theyre just stuck to the back part of the casing, its a simple job of pulling it off and sticking the other one on, the hardest bit was getting the red plastic of the black back panel without cracking/chipping it, nothing a sharp knife, thin screwdriver and macguyver type mrpg couldnt handle.

purplegoanna, Apr 19, 9:23pm
fixed it.wahoo with one of these467096092 , off to get me my warrant.

n1smo_gtir, Apr 19, 11:35pm
HAHAHA, nice and bet it's way brighter than the OEM to start with=P they good for increased visibilitywhen braking expecially if you have really dark tints too. have you got a pic of it installed and lit up to see how bright it is.

purplegoanna, Apr 20, 1:58am
no because someone! NOT ME! left the boot lid up over the past 48hrs and flattened the battery! so now we're waiting for that to charge before we can use the brake to see it work all set up!.cant complain though cause the boot lid and the spoiler is getting a good cut & polish whilst we wait.

realtrader1, Apr 20, 3:47am
If all else fails, disconnect, bondi if needed or just paint over the lights set into the spoiler and you will get your wof (well, you won't fail on that count anyway).

purplegoanna, Apr 20, 5:23am
u are right it is way brighter than the original.past its warrant YUS