The truck vs hotrod on the hill incident

Page 2 / 7
motorboy2011, Apr 12, 9:44am
while I still stand by my statement that the passing truck was perfectly entitled to use the passing lane to pass, whether this uses the entire passing lane or not, I do agree its a little rude of the truck to do so as it prevents the many cars behind it from passing. I do however find it less rude than the truck getting passed failing to slow down a little as to let the passing truck pass AND some cars

skin1235, Apr 12, 9:49am
careful motorboy, you're coming dangerously close to being conscious of a need for consideration, and judging some to have less than desirable amounts of it
just won't do at all

pdc1, Apr 12, 11:29am
What ever happened prior, doesn't change the facts we see on the video.
From what I remember the hot rod quickly passes and pulls into the lane. He then eases back on his speed. The truck is now the following vehicle like it or not.
I do not support what the hot rod driver did, but you have to question the professional truck driver here. Absolute fail in my books.While I would be pissed off that í was losing my momentum, at this stage he does not know what the hot rod was doing. It could have been any reason, from medical condition of the driver to mechancial issues etc. One thing was clear was that a vehicle in front of the truck was slowly slowing, so what does the professional truck driver do! He just sounds his big horn and keeps on going. Very big of him! What happened to defensive driving and showing a duty of care to avoid an accident. Thankfully there wasn't an accident here, as it probably wouldn't have been just the truck and the rod involved, and the result could have been horrific.
I hope that the truck driver is thinking about a new career. He obviously still doesn't get it by the fact that he has released the video.
What about all the other shocking drivers shown on the video as well. It's not just the hot rod driver that was the idiot or dangerous

oldcobra, Apr 12, 2:40pm
Wow so many know alls in here especially pds1 get a bloody clue. As a truck driver all I can really say is go and spend a week in a truck then re think what shyte you say.
For the record the truck is entitled to pass 100%
Experience tells me that on short passing lanes like that one, dim witted car drivers take the whole lane to pass, then hog the passing/right hand lane, letting minimal traffic behind them past as well.
The truck driver nailed that pass no worries, anticipated that passing lane and was already making his move before the lane had started, then pulled into the 'slow' lane with 200 metres to go. too bad I can't say the same thing about 99% of car drivers.
Despite what dickhead pdc1 says, cudos to the truck driver for being onto it and pulling up in time too. yep your average NZ motorist would be staring into space etc and would have punted that tosser in the 32 into next week.

shuddupowh, Apr 12, 2:57pm
Where is this video! First I've heard, kind of got bored reading the posts.

stevo2, Apr 12, 5:36pm
So there is a long line of cars following, if the truckie had decided not to pass, 3 or 4 from the line would have overtaken but the rest of the queue would still be stuck behind 2 trucks.

sifty, Apr 12, 8:07pm
Nah, hot rod bloke was a dick.

As an aside, it always seems to be those in easily identifiable vehicles that drive like cocks. Don't know why.

bill-robinson, Apr 12, 8:35pm
The truck doing the passing was loaded with trade me purchases being delivered ASAP to all you experts on here. Now, if the driver had let all the cars past led by the hot rod hero, and he did so at every passing lane, your parts would probably still be on the road.and you would be yelling your head off for them. Engage brain before mouth ( or in this case finger).

kazbanz, Apr 12, 8:58pm
Hey guys just to be clear. I'm not condoning the rod drivers actionsall I'm saying is the trucky could have been more conciderate.
Pdc -sorry dude but untill you have driven a heavilly loaded rig you just can't comment on what the trucky should or shouldn't have done.

poppajn, Apr 12, 9:10pm
I,ve been thinking more about this--so the passing truck was perfectly entitiled to pass!, therefore the other truck one must presume was only doing 60 to 70 kmaximum for the passing truck to be entitiled to pass, his maximum allowable speed being 90k, otherwise he broke the law. Why did he need too pass anyway!
I too am a truck driver

budgel, Apr 12, 9:34pm
Yeah, it is interesting that the truckie was desperate to move up one place in the line of traffic, yet other drivers get slagged off for doing that.

dave653, Apr 12, 10:10pm
What isn't shown in the vid is the possible 'lack' of cars behind the truck at the time of passing. Who's to say there wasn't a damn thing behind him when he looked in the mirror for the last time! And besides, just up the road is another passing lane!
I'm for the truck, H/R driver needs lessons.

kwkbrk, Apr 12, 10:17pm
I`ve just watched it, and I`m stunned.
The guy in the second truck did absolutely nothing wrong. He was clearly traveling significantly faster, he caught up with him effortlessly just as they got to the overtaking lane, and had EVERY RIGHT to make use of it.
I`ve copied and pasted below from Hod Rod Review forums, the poster knows the driver of the 32, and it says it all :

"I was on the run not far back from this incident and let me say the guy in the rod was and is a total tool! Despite what you say Mike the truck driver did nothing wrong and the dork in the Duece behaved like a clown.End of story."

johnf_456, Apr 12, 10:38pm
Truck is not at fault at all, if anything the guy in the hotrod needs a good talking to. Also some people need to realize just because you are passing it does not mean you can break the speed limit. So yes overtaking is slow to keep it legal especially when cameras exist on passing lanes.

sifty, Apr 12, 10:40pm
That IS interesting.

i-n-horz, Apr 12, 10:47pm
Perfect pass by the truckie,excellent run-up,good pace,completion before lane ended also leaving the next passing lane 100mtrs up ahead for following traffic to pass him.then comes along an R's wipe in his rod putting lives at risk because he's impatient and his unequaled immature road sense.pride of the circus total clown.
#28.man you must've been p!ssed or P'd-out when viewing the video if that is what your assumption on events was.you don't own a Duece do ya!

supernova2, Apr 12, 10:51pm
Isint it called drive to the conditions.If you cant pass without sufficent clear road then its that persons fault and no one elses.Can but wonder why the OP needs to know if it was reported!Is the Op one of the parties to the incident!We have no idea why the truck passed the other truck, maybe the other truck was doing 5k.Do we know how far behnd the rod was - it could have been nowhere in sight when truck started to pass.Having said all that if I was in the truck I'd have shunted the rod as well as for what ever reason the rod ran out of road and cut the truck off therefore rod totally at fault in that part of the vid.

poppajn, Apr 12, 10:55pm
Totally agree the H/R driver was a idiot to brake like he did, which is the main point of the incedent, but I still think the truck,s speed is an issue, why did he need to pass!

supernova2, Apr 12, 11:12pm
Does it matter why the truck had a need to pass.Assuming (and thats all we can do) that the truck performed a legal manouver the H/R is the one in the poo due to his bad driving.

wiz9, Apr 12, 11:46pm
this is true.

sifty, Apr 12, 11:50pm
Well summed up horz.

kokako14, Apr 13, 12:42am
Think I might use the hot rods trick next time I am following a camper van and coming to a passing lane, except I will pass the camper van beforet the bottom of the hill, slow right down so he scrubbs off all his speed for the hill and then leave him behind

learner2, Apr 13, 4:00am
Well said.

whqqsh, Apr 13, 4:06am
I thought the overtaking truck got by quite quickly then moved over asap, unlike the halfwit that tried the same between Turangi & Taupo, got halfway past then ran out of steam, blocking both lanes with a huge queue stuck behind

thunderbolt, Apr 13, 4:16am
Well well, welll, a subject very divided.
And judging by most of the truck drivers posing, consideration for other motorists is long dead.