Surf vs Mu/Wizard vs Terrano etc

Page 2 / 2
comphardware, Apr 16, 8:57am
18L/100km city no thanks

mals69, Apr 16, 9:19am
"You took that well" :)

All my vehicles have lasted well - put it down to one thing - don't make them work until well and truly awake - Well warmed up :) lot of people seem to under-estimatethis. As an example - got a xr650 - can idle it for 5 mins and drop the sump plug and the 15/50 oil not even luke warm, all about getting your oil to a temperature it is designed for before you get the metal parts hammering one another with more force .

Add 4k grand to that 12 K and ya can have an 80,000k godzilla supercar :)

r15, Apr 16, 9:50am
it'll be bugger all good down the back of the farm though

i agree with the rest of your statement about not hammering cold engines

mals69, Apr 17, 12:10am
True but as another eluded too , spend bugger all on the farm hack - 4 grand low k truck and spend the big money where it should be - On HorsepoWer !

kronikstuff, Apr 25, 6:59am
Have owned a 1993 3.0 V6 petrol surf for 9yrs, very reliable truck, changed cambelt and water pump, not great on gas but excellent durability and reliability, it has been put through its paces over the years and still impresses me, its like part of the family I dont think we will ever part with it.

quater, Apr 25, 7:47am
I have a surf and I can say they are costly in everyway, I can't understand why they keep there value. Mine just cracked the head due to me not being as prudent as I should have been with the cooling system (why do I need to be I have never had to be so careful with other cars). But If you keep on top things they do last.

mantagsi, Apr 25, 10:55am
I've only had limited experience in this area but I would suggest a nissan diesel powered vehicle, the couple I've mucked about with have been surprisingly eager to stay alive despite mistreatment and everything else about the vehicle turning to shit! But as some other poster said, you gotta mind the gearboxes, they need to be treated very kindly or bad things will happen

r15, Apr 25, 11:02am
with the surf you get to pay a siginificantly discounted price due to stories about them blowing up.

pretty much every surf needs its owner to give its cooling system a proper going over.it costs bugger all to do this, requires only basic tools to remove and install any parts,and people say things like this over and over and over and over again. still people dont listen.

heads only crack when cooked.

dont cook your engine and you wont crack heads. . so simple

comphardware, Apr 26, 8:17am
i think the toyota 2.4t surfs comes with pre cracked heads out of the factory

intrade, Apr 26, 8:19am
no you are talking about the toyota enema.

hfc2, Apr 26, 8:51am
2.8 d surf ONLY, better riding than hilux, keep away from 3.0 l petrol or 2.4 d turbo

alimac1, Apr 26, 10:22am
And yet my 94 Bighorn with a 4JG2 has done 300 000km and still is a good runner.