What oil should I be running in the 351?

Page 2 / 2
bellky, Apr 27, 10:16pm
Probly have to replace sump ay.

johnf_456, Apr 27, 10:27pm
Good on ya do it right first time

extrayda, Apr 28, 7:13am
A mate bashed his by doing a bit of a 'jump' in his XA, was pretty harsh.I never bashed mine with the 302C or the 460L in it.I'd just replace the sump and not worry too much about the plate - personal preference though.
XA's do love to rust in certain areas, I got one panelled etc but I stripped it down first.Rust was in the bottom of the front pillars (out of sight under the front guards), and in the rear quarters behind the wheels, where the drain holes fill up.They also rust in the bottom of the doors if there is nowhere for the water to drain out.These are all common areas for them to rust.Probably also in the sills by now.If it has a gennuine WOF, then I would hope that it shouldn't be too bad - they certainly checked my old HQ pretty thoroughly for rust.

extrayda, Apr 28, 7:15am
If the window seals are bad, then I would replace them (at least on the outside).From memory on the Fairmont they were a bit of a pain due to the door trim, but the falcons were a bit easier.
Boot rubbers also go and can let in a bit of water, they are a piece of pi$$ to replace.

extrayda, Apr 28, 7:16am
Still jealous of your new toy !

jason18, Apr 28, 8:25am
Thanks mate, 1 bottom of door on one side has a small bit of rust but all others from inside look sweet. No rust at all. Wof was genuine he said he usually has a mate do it but he wasnt working so took it to another random garage and I had a look underneath and she is nice and clean bar the oil leak. I bought it as a do up paint wise/rust etc. I just wanted the motor to be mint. I was told it could be a 302 but its running a Edelbrock Torker 351c intake with a 750 double pumper in it.Would a 302 even be able to run this intake considering its specifically made for a 351 4v. Mines apparently a 351c with modded 2v head to be 4v.

jason18, Apr 28, 8:33am
Ok maybe it can haha. Confusing, I cant be bothered measuring stroke!

extrayda, Apr 28, 8:35am
Hmmm I can't comment on that intake as I haven't owned one of those.I didn't think that the bolt pattern of the heads was different between to 2V and 4V heads, but I could be wrong there.I see the Edelbrock site makes a deal of it only fitting the 4V motor.Unless your motor is very modded IMO a 750DP is a bit large (for comparison, on my 420Hp 383 chev I was only running a 700DP).Are you sure it's a DP carb!Does it have two accellerator pumps (one under the front and rear barrel), or does it have a vacuum pot!Motor looked nice in the photo.

quickstitch, Apr 28, 8:41am
next time you do a plug change stick a bit of wire down the plug hole, and turn it over by hand, marking top and bottom on the wire, easiest way. Don't just remove one plug, it will be a bitch to turn over. 3" between marks for a 302, 3 1/2" for 351. but that carb would be a bit much for a 302 unless it had a big cam, and head work.

jason18, Apr 28, 8:41am
Cheers mate.Yeah has two pumps one front and one rear. With fuel lines leading to each one.What kind of carby would improve it. Runs really well but has a slight hesitation at low revs if floored like it is slightly over carbed.The have made the motor look the bizzo!

jason18, Apr 28, 8:41am
Cheers mate.Yeah has two pumps one front and one rear. With fuel lines leading to each one.What kind of carby would improve it. Runs really well but has a slight hesitation at low revs if floored like it is slightly over carbed.But once she is slightly up in revs and you floor it she takes off!The have made the motor look the bizzo!

jason18, Apr 28, 8:42am
Yeah i thought carb was to much for 302. Pity ford never imprinted an engine number on the block! Make things a hell of alot easier. Either way tho the motor goes very very well. Kicks my Ba falcons ass.

jason18, Apr 28, 8:43am
Cam seems very very lumpy Sounds wicked idling away!

quickstitch, Apr 28, 8:45am
you can fit a 4V manifold on a 2V you just have to be careful getting a good gasket seal, and the port mismatch is big, you would benefit more from a 2V manifold. 2V heads can't be ported out to 4V size, but you can take a little bit of meat off them on the port to help a bit.

quickstitch, Apr 28, 8:47am
i only use edelbrock carbs on my V8s now, i have a 750 on my 351c

jason18, Apr 28, 8:47am
Ok cheers man.I have no idea what 2v or 4v even mean! Havent googled it yet. Either way 302 or 351 im damn happy!

quickstitch, Apr 28, 8:53am
2V means 2 venturi (the heads were made to suit the two barrel carb motors), 4v four barrel. basically big port and little port heads, and 4Vs have bigger valves too

extrayda, Apr 28, 9:56am
Headers look good quickstitch.
Jason, TBH unless the motor has a lot of work, I would have gone with a dual plane and vac secondary (700 if they make them in vac, otherwise 750 vac would be ok).I had the single plane super victor & 700 dp on the 383 chev, but think a dual plane might have been a better bet.If you choose to change the intake I'd suggest a performer RPM dual plane though.Do you have the cam specs!Was your car auto or manual! If auto, does it have a High Stall converter!

jason18, Apr 28, 8:32pm
mmmmm Very nice!

jason18, Apr 28, 8:32pm
No idea on cam specs. Car is Auto and high stall converter! No idea haha. Im still learning about v8s!

phalanax, Apr 29, 12:26am
Late model crap ie allalloy ported long block4 overhead cams and valves per cylinder and crappy fuel injection. crap that will crawl 100kms distance on shut off cylinders with no water coolant. crap that won engine of the year 2 years in a row.yep crap that is more efficient fuelwise.just cause it doesnt rumble loud on idle .doesnt mean it cant sprint.that sort of crap.lol

lookoutas, May 2, 5:40am
I didn't state there was anything wrong with the late model crap.