Cars with no or minimal electronics these days.

Page 1 / 3
intrade, Apr 27, 8:47pm
I only know of a single manufacturer who makes that with huge sales european wide.

intrade, Apr 27, 8:53pm
i think manufacturer could make money by selling reliable cars that dont cost a fortune to service and repair like the old mid 1980s to mid 90s toyota 4 cilinder cars. One company is creaming it all over europe with low budget no frills and good quality for what you get and its
The Dacia brand powerd and owned by Renault made in rumania
they where going to sell em rhd in australia but pulled out and now making the suv rhd. I personally think maybe for australia the suv yes but in NZ the small hatch sandero that has been engeneerd for rhd but naver produced would make a killing if they would sell it for 9999$ for the no frills version duster is released here and we could get that imported from uk
http://dacia.co.uk/

intrade, Apr 27, 8:53pm
i think manufacturer could make money by selling reliable cars that dont cost a fortune to service and repair like the old mid 1980s to mid 90s toyota 4 cilinder cars. One company is creaming it all over europe with low budget no frills and good quality for what you get and its
The Dacia brand powerd and owned by Renault made in rumania
they where going to sell em rhd in australia but pulled out and now making the suv rhd. I personally think maybe for australia the suv yes but in NZ the small hatch sandero that has been engeneerd for rhd but naver produced would make a killing if they would sell it for 9999$ for the no frills version duster is released here and we could get that imported from uk
http://dacia.co.uk/

60 days to go

intrade, Apr 27, 9:01pm
also there is enough suv on our roads in auckland like ssangyoung, greatwall,toyotas , and all the others. Small car wise the only one that would compete with a sandero dacia is the kia picanto with lower fuelconsumption then the sandero, but that car is full of electronics junk the dacia would have the edge there and its lower price. we paid 12000$ when you calculate currency from europe in to nz$ and that was on road full tank of gas and a motorway license sticker for 1 year.

I do think ford falcon could improof also if they would make a no frills car with manual transmanual windo winders.good fuel-economy and low pricesame goes for all others they just seem to not have clicked on to it and dacia is creaming it all.

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 9:33pm
I don't see what the advantage is over something like a Nissan Tiida or Note (similar platform)

You can't directly compare our pricing with that elsewhere - you can by a basic Note for ~11k pounds in the UK

by_hdt, Apr 27, 9:53pm
Problem being is that most NZers have been spoiled with well equipped jap imports, and wont buy a car without bells and whistles no matter what the price.

intrade, Apr 27, 9:54pm
you recon. ! i know a few people who moan about all the stuff that brakes on there cars. if a car has not got it it cant brake its simple as.

mantagsi, Apr 27, 9:58pm
Tata Nano!

vtecintegra, Apr 27, 9:58pm
I have never had an electric window fail on any of my cars. I have, however, had a manual window winder snap off.

gmphil, Apr 27, 10:27pm
x1
Same butt thosebloody switches

moosie_21, Apr 27, 10:58pm
Amen, I'd like a performance car with nothing fancy in it, WITHOUT the extra cost that comes with it (how the hell can they charge MORE for a car without the fancy gadgetry!)

timmo1, Apr 27, 11:02pm
Depends what part of the market you are targetting.I certainly think 'no frills' could work for a sporty car as it makes sense in terms of initial performance and for upgrading as well.but for a city car, people want things that make life easier.

tonyrockyhorror, Apr 28, 12:03am
Stuff that breaks, such as what!

Perhaps they should simply invest some time in learning to fix things for themselves, instead of just plonking themselves in front of the idiot box watching frigg'n cooking shows.

msigg, Apr 28, 2:15am
Yes intrade you got a good point, the old dx corrolla would go forever if looked after and was very economical as well, if it did break down was a very simple fix. Now days you got to have all the right plug in equipment/tools. At a price.

clark20, Apr 28, 3:08am
Unfortunatly nether had I until the rear one went last week in my Mums Astra, and then you see the thriving aftermarket parts must mean it happens a lot.

waipawa, Apr 28, 3:27am
This could be the right time for a Lada comeback.

robotnik, Apr 28, 3:36am
What about the Tata Nano from India. That is a fairly basic car I believe.

Also not that basic, but pretty cheap and available in NZ is the Chery J1 subcompact. Test drove one the other day and it was nothing special, but nothing wrong with it either.

intrade, Apr 28, 4:07am
the chery j1 has to high fuelconsumption. its got to be below 60mpg for todays cars with todays fuel prices. plus its got to mutch crap added already.
fuel wise it be a kia picanto stripped of all junk like powersteering and rubish that needs servicing with belts and atf changes or electric crap.

foxdonut, Apr 28, 9:51am
10 grand for something with a carburettor and 50hp! That rusts because its made of cheap metal, with no efficiency and a constant state of fuel price increases!

You're mad. This car already exists. Its called the Austin Maxi and its been available for 30 years and no one is buying it.

Modern cars (proper modern, not this 10 year old jap stuff people call "new") are coming out with 175k warranty's, 4~5 litre per 100k fuel ratings, servicing every 15-20k AND they have ipod connectivity, available from as little as 15 grand. The 5 you (propose) you'd save would quickly be spent on oil and filter changes, excess fuel consumption, accelerated wear and tear and more frequent trips to the local mechanics.

Get out of the Yellow pages and move into Google.

wasser61, Apr 28, 10:35am
175k Warranty!

Hmm my Focus does 5.6l/100km, Service intervals are 15,000kms, and has a 200,000 km 6 year warranty. just the price was not $15,000

franc123, Apr 28, 11:03am
You are only going to get one of those chinese cherys for $15k, even the likes of a suzuki alto are $17k, Daewoo made Barina spark is 18, theres not much else. I think what intrade is getting at is a properly cheap car made by a long established manufacturer that is made simple but well, and stripped of anything that simply isn't needed. What happens when you ditch unneeded weight out of a car! Instant fuel economy and performance gains, moderns HAVE got too heavy and complicated.

pebbles61, Apr 28, 11:23am
There's one for sale on here at the moment lol

And I own an 1800.so someone is bought one lol

foxdonut, Apr 28, 4:12pm
It seems that way, but the reality is: Toyota echo. Nissan tiida, Mazda 2 - these are all low spec cars, all meet the requirements.

As for the weight, while I'm loathed to say it out loud. Nissan gtr weighs close enough to 1700 kilos and it has no problems in the performance department.

inkapuka, Apr 28, 5:54pm
My 01 vx commy berliea has electric seats parking sensors electric sun roof windows abs tcs and climate control and remote lockingauto lights and a few others

intrade, Apr 28, 7:14pm
you got my point exactly what i was meaning. all manufacturer could do this but only renault have done it with dacia so far.