Subaru overheats when I take it up the hills

subs1, Apr 27, 9:15pm
But around town it's fine and doesn't overheat. I've done a flush on the water system and all the flow seems to be fine, I was thinking of replacing the thermostat on the engine and then looking at the water pump, is this a good idea! And yes before you rag on subaru's I know they are fine when they are running but when they break woooooo are they expensive to fix.

outbidyou2, Apr 27, 9:22pm
have you made sure you have bled the system fully! I had trouble with mine recently, thought I had bled it completely and took it for a drive. no problem. Next morning I should have started it and then topped up again with water but didn't. Went for a drive and had similar symptonms to yours.
When you are bleeding it have the car on a slope facing upwards.

subs1, Apr 27, 9:32pm
Not yet but I will be doing that after doing the thermostat, The inlet pipe to the heater in the car is roasting hot yet the outlet is cold.

outbidyou2, Apr 27, 9:35pm
If you take the intercooler off and replace 1 pipe, replace them all. Don't do what I did and have 3 goes at it, haha. +1 for thermastat

subs1, Apr 27, 9:38pm
Luckily it's a non-turbo model I own. Thanks for your input though.

by_hdt, Apr 27, 9:55pm
heater core is blocked, Common Subaru issue im lead to believe.

motorboy2011, Apr 28, 12:20am
blocked radiator, stuffed pump or stuck thermostat

cuda.340, Apr 28, 1:38am
cracked head, under load it distorts n pressurises the cooling system to the point it overheats.

NZTools, Apr 28, 1:55am
Using a radiator flush in unblock a radiator is about as usefull as using aglass of water to remove plaque from your teeth. Have the radiator rodded out by a radiator shop. Your car will thank you for it.

falcon15, Apr 28, 1:59am
subarus have a weird cooling system where the water has to be able to run through the heater core if its blocked it will overheat. does the heater blow hot air when its on

subs1, Apr 28, 2:05am
yahoo ! All fixed .
It was a failed radiator thermostat. But what a s@#$t to refill - seemed to take an hour with motor at about 1500rpm and heater on .Took it up the hill again to make the enginework harder, and NO overheating . Might keep it a few more weeks yet . Hehe