An OBJECTIVE study of Neon's: good and bad points

Page 2 / 2
realtrader1, May 2, 9:20am
Thanks for that.I shall re read.I am not trying to do as you say.Please bear in mind though, there's a difference between someone writing and saying that the Neon is a pile of rubbish and someone who can or rather does qualify what they are saying.Thanks for your input.

realtrader1, May 2, 9:28am
Perhaps this is an example of where I am apparently doing the wrong thing.But the thread does ask for information whereas the comment made by the contributor doesn't have anything to back it up.Evidence is needed.Btw, evidence is needed both ways.Neither is it acceptable for someone simply to say Neon's are wonderful cars: let's make that clear.So, yes, general comments won't, well, are not useful.

realtrader1, May 2, 9:30am
bad point: the worst america could do to us down under. good point: they are nearly all gone now. recycled into a chery!

3tomany (137 )9:05 pm, Tue 1 May #13

Perhaps this (the above) is an example of where I am apparently doing the wrong thing. But the thread does ask for information whereas the comment made by the contributor doesn't have anything to back it up. Evidence is needed. Btw, evidence is needed both ways. Neither is it acceptable for someone simply to say Neon's are wonderful cars: let's make that clear. So, yes, general comments won't, well, are not useful.

nightboss, May 2, 9:32am
Good on you RT, keep ignoring the few that are trying to goad you into a bad reaction. I think you have been impartial and are doing a good job of drawing genuine experiences from posters, that have had personal experience of the Neon.

If we had a list of the ten worst cars of all time and a list of the ten best cars of all time as voted by motoring journalists I bet very few of us would have had personal contact with more than one of those twenty. Except maybe for Jazz

realtrader1, May 2, 9:43am
Well, no I don't intend to ignore anyone as such and I appreciate it if people are honest enough to say that I am not being fair, even better if it's done politely and without suspicion.I think, at least initially, you do need to think the best rather than race to conclusions that may leave you with egg on your face.So, yes, if we can all be gentlemanly, and I include myself here, in our discussions, and offer more light than heat then things will generally tend toward a more educated outcome, surely.

Personal experience with the Neon.yes, well, that's the intention of the thread, rather than the heat of burn, burn, burn and heat generated by upsetting each other.So, really, it's a call for being calm and a call for the why and how of it all.Why and how are they good (if any are good), why and how are they bad.

realtrader1, May 2, 9:46am
Tell us more on this. Were you in the dealership etc.Did you work on them etc.Let's know your findings from history.

steve312, May 2, 10:09am
Have a customer with one.Done just under 100000kms and gets regular servicing.Only out of the ordinary problem they have had with it so far is a cam angle sensor.Started cutting out at random intervals and wouldn't restart until cooled down.Reasonably cheap part and very simple to replace.Apart from that just seems to keep going.

thejazzpianoma, May 2, 11:12am
No, but you should have a reasonable level of first hand experience with them before advising someone as to whether its any good. So many on here (and in the real world) do this with zero experience of the vehicle at hand and just repeat whatever wives tale is the most popular.

thejazzpianoma, May 2, 11:12am
No, but you should have a reasonable level of first hand experience with them before advising someone as to whether its any good. So many on here (and in the real world) do this with zero experience of the vehicle at hand and just repeat whatever wives tale is the most popular.

Also. while I strongly advise getting cars pre-purchased checked, a mechanics opinion on whether a particular make/model should be purchased (as opposed to a particular example of) should be considered but not taken as gospel. I say this because mechanics often just steer people to what they have experience working on and feel comfortable with. That shouldn't be the most important criteria when purchasing a car.

kazbanz, May 2, 8:50pm
for gosh sakes you expect memory to mork before morning cofee!
I do recall two of the cars were "last" cars for their elderly owners. so inside was nice and the spanner man worked on em regularly as the older generation generally do

modie61, May 3, 4:33am
Hi RT M y experiences are with 2 Neons i drove as company cars. 1 was a 1.8 manual in black,nice car went well and handled real good,was sold on at 18000ks and not seen since.the other a 2litre auto,in a purple or blue sorta colour,neat car turned heads too. Was used by my employer until sold at 34000kms,mostly driven by me,still had original tyres and no probs,but regularly serviced,saw it not long ago with 155000ks on the clock,still looked good,is your thread interested in the early model or the face lift model !

realtrader1, May 3, 4:34am
Hey, no. do have your coffee. I mean to say. Btw, did you remember before or after the coffee!

realtrader1, May 3, 4:46am
Hey thanks for taking the time to contribute!
Wow, sold on at 18 000km! Didn't keep that one long.Something wrong with it!

Regular service comes through on this posting for the 2nd (black) Neon!

No, any year and model at this point.But, in hindsight would have been more value if the thread dealt with a particular model.But hey, it's all good.Hopefully there will be something for all of us to learn.

Thing is I probably know the least about Neon's on this MB and they may be as bad or worse than people say. or a bad batch.or manuals are ok or not etc.All of which is to say the more specified info the better.I read of one that dropped the gearbox on the road (on the web).Now what does that mean exactly!I don't know!It's too vague.And was there no oil in it, not serviced, what!

modie61, May 3, 4:56am
No,no probs with the black 1 at 18000ks,it was a demo car, it used to get lent out as a courtesy car to Nissan owners as a matter of fact. There were 3 Pulsars as loan or courtesy cars and they were out full time,so next up was to lend out the Neon.

modie61, May 3, 4:56am
Do you think the Neon will become a classic car 1 day !
Im sure it will . Lol.

moosie_21, May 3, 5:17am
Here's some grim reading since you clearly want facts:

"The first generation Neon earned a "Poor" rating in an offset frontal Crash test conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety . The second generation Neon earned a higher "Marginal" rating. The second generation were rated as "Poor" in the side impact crash test (IIHS Safety ratings go from "Poor", to "Marginal", "Acceptable" and "Good"). Only the Chevrolet Cavalier performed worse in the small car category in 2005, the Neon's final year.[5] Other cars made from 2000 to 2005 which were rated "Poor" when tested without optional side airbags included the Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Prius, Mitsubishi Lancer, and Chevrolet Cobalt. No small car made in this period, tested without side airbags, achieved better than a "Poor."

In 2005, the Institute carried out side impact tests on 14 small car models, simulating an impact with an SUV. Among these, the Neon performed the worst. IIHS stated that the Neon had ???.major problems beginning with its structure. This car is a disaster.The structure is poor.If this had been a real driver in a real crash, it??

moosie_21, May 3, 5:21am

realtrader1, May 3, 5:22am
Now that's funny!You'd think they'd only use the Nissan brand.But there we go.

moosie_21, May 3, 5:23am
Here's a less biased view, but still comes out VERY mediocre (1999 version):

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/chrysler/neon/saloon-1999/

Shall I continue!

realtrader1, May 3, 5:26am
Have no idea!Simply started this thread because the other one didn't have very strong reasoning.As I have stated I have no particular interest in Neon's at all.Haven't so much as sat inside one.I will be interested to check one over after this and when I do will post my findings for what it's worth.

moosie_21, May 3, 5:30am
Here's a good review from people who have driven and owned the car. Overall: 3 star out of 5 (or 67%, ouch.)

http://www.auto123.com/en/chrysler/neon/2001/consumer-ratings!carid=1011301201

Are you starting to see that we really aren't that biased anymore and that stereotypes usually have a good helping of truth in their founding!

realtrader1, May 3, 5:39am
Hey, thanks for your input there.

Yes, I want the facts.I would hope we all do.
I guess it comes down to the design of the thread doesn't it.What I mean is that, rightly, I ought to have included the possibility of people submitting the sort of info you just have.That's an oversight on my part and I hope we all benefit from your including this info, which technically doesn't fit the brief, but since the brief is inadequate then that's no reason for tossing it out, at least that's how I see it.Others may disagree.Maybe I'm wrong!

So, yes, grizzly findings!They will no doubt be accurate too.Interestingly, it would seem that the Neon was the worst of a bad bunch, If I read carefully enough.I wonder how much worse it was % wise.Yes, just flicking through again.That's a bad rating isn't it!

Leaving aside the reliability issue v non reliable.the Neon is not stacking up too well at this point.Other opinions please.

moosie_21, May 3, 5:40am
Nope, not at all. Just stay away from Chrysler period, best bet.

realtrader1, May 3, 5:58am
Okay, here are my thoughts without trawling through every posting and feel free to agree or disagree.It would appear, as with all cars, the Neon can give you a pretty good run for your money provided it's serviced well.The earlier ones particularly appear to be death traps.Now whether they would be even more flimsy than the likes of the wee early Mirages, I'd have no idea.Anyway, a good run for your money aint much if it is unsafe.Sorry I haven't done a better job on this but maybe someone could design a better thread at some point.Above all, please, don't think I have any axe to grind here.And no, I am not starting up a Neon car club etc etc. lol Oh well, will say farewell re this thread.Thanks everyone.No, one last thought.Now, some of you may have known all this stuff.Okay.Still, please be sensitive, when someone is asking for help: where do I get a gearbox etc etc. hey, why not maybe take a more helpful line!After all, they may otherwise be getting a very good run out of the car.And we know there are other unsafe cars out there.Perhapstelling someone to burn their car is, well, uncalled for.