Holden Starfire 1900cc

Page 2 / 2
rlr29, May 1, 8:19am
Sounds like a Hugh waste of time.

petermcg, May 2, 4:35am
It would be wise to think about the transplant before you do it, the CF 2.3 was a good suggestion, but consider that what ever 4 cyl engine you put in will be doing the same revs as the engine that you have now at 90 kph so you wont have any gain there. Nothing will change. If you have a starfire engine now, I think I have some gasgets for one of those , if you need any.

berg, May 2, 5:07am
Starfire 4 rods were the cheap performance part for V8s back in the day. Chevette and Gemini did share a floorpan and the GA16 Gemini engine is a great swap. Have also seen them with the 1800 and 2ltr twin can engines fitted. Aim for a TE-TF Gem as they also had a good 5 speed box. Going back in the booze damaged memory banks but I think even the Gemini diff housing, dash and seats swapped over without too much trouble.

donz01, May 2, 10:04am
Mechanically speaking the current engine is in excellent condition. It would be great if they come out with a 5 speed box. I am begining to wonder if there was ever an adapter bellhousing made to fit a 5 speed box from something else. I have a friend who had a Gemini and he reckons it drank petrol like nothing else he has ever owned.

dave653, May 3, 12:52am
I had a VH Commy wagon with 1.9 and 5 speed. Once I tuned it properly it went surprisingly well. for a 4! Didn't do enough with it to check economy, but a manual 4 will be cheaper to run than anything auto.
173 pistons, 202 mains, short '12 port' head with bigger valves than the red 6, heavy rods, light flywheel, chuck a weber or similar on and it'll be a good swap.