Which model of Landcruiser / Motor is best /.

makinmoney, Apr 29, 9:27pm
I currently have a 98 prado and it has been fantastic, but i now want the bigger 4.2l diesel landcruiser.The only thing i am not sure on is which model is best for me!12 or 24 valve! (i don't really know anything about this!), turbo or non-turbo!It must be a 7 or 8 seater, and not too fussed on what year (nothing after 98 probably though simply from a price point)Any advice on your experience and advice would be appreciated.Oh, we tow a trailer and small boat often (but not too heavy), take a long trip once a year, and will be going off road more often than we have done in our prado

a.woodrow, Apr 29, 11:21pm
What do you like about the landcruisers! To be honest nothing over 98 means you'll be getting the older shape, they are more expensive then a prado to maintain and thirstier. The earlier models are pretty unexciting inside. Don't go for one that is non-turbo, if you bu,y go for as new as possible, I would say you would be dissapointed with the early 90's offerings

makinmoney, Apr 29, 11:29pm
Thanks for that, not too worried about the cost of running (it surely can't be too much more expensive to run than the turbo prado i currently have).I am not really after luxury, so an earlier model is fine for what features etc they have inside.I just really want a big 4x4 with 7 or 8 seats that is competant as a 4x4.I also want to be able to drive places and not worry about a few scratches etc whereas in the prado i have or newer model landcruiser - i would worry.

tazcsv, Apr 29, 11:31pm
Iv herd the 24v is the better 1 to get but i have no idea why, i have a 1991 12v 80series 4.2dt and it goes just fine.
It will tow anything you throw at it and it super comfy to drive
I would say definitly buy a turbo model and i find it good on deisel even when towing.

makinmoney, Apr 30, 3:33am
Thanks tazcsv, is yours an auto or manual!My prado is an auto, and as much as i would prefer a manual, it has actually been really good for what we've used it for so far.I think the manual option is going to suit us better for a landcruiser though

tazcsv, Apr 30, 4:50am
Its an Auto, I dont think i would like it in an manual but i do prefer autos in 4x4s anyway.

makinmoney, Apr 30, 10:32am
Zephryheaven thanks for your comments, i had heard that the 24 valve was the better option.I'm a bit surprised that you are not so keen on the man.Thanks for the advice on the big end bearings.Also, i will try and track the one from Turners down as see if it is still available.The picture of your truck looks exactly what i want.If only you were selling.

zephyrheaven, May 1, 7:25am
Everythings for sale mate 8)

Chch is a good place to start looking, sadly some desperate people around so pricing can be good - if you want to set it up for 4x4 follow other peoples advise, I didnt for my 1st one and always regretted certain aspects of it.
New one (Jan 2012 timely aye ha ha) is a beast - was all factory, lockers and all weee - next to tracks I havent seen anything with this much traction offroad
Had a jacked up Hilux in manual, was OK but the 3rd pedal was more of a pain in the ass than a help as soon as your off the asphalt IMHO.

Another note, I spent $2700 on recon'ed injectors & a new diesel pump housing this year - wish I had just biffed a 350 V8 in it ha ha - but its cheaper to run & has power to burn now
The pump housings wear 200+Km & low sulphur shite diesel isnt helping, few aussies swear by a bit of 2 smoke oil in the fuel tank - yet to try it.

If you want a look at mine or any advise (its free) just yell, cheers

makinmoney, May 2, 4:31am
As you say everything is for sale, but at what price!If you were to sell of course!I tried to look for a contact for you, but couldn't find one

nzdoug, May 3, 9:17am
84 BJ42 2.8L. Diesel SWB Landcruiser a classic.
New FJ Cruiser needs roof racks for true Tonka effect.
Sadly, missing.