1992 Holden Barina opinions?

michael.benn, Apr 4, 3:22am
Anyone got any experience with these!

carmedic, Apr 4, 5:08am
Yes quite a lot.
Next question.

rallec, Apr 4, 5:12am
They're pretty fantastic.In all my experience with them they just go and go and go.And then go some more.I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a crash involving one, let alone in one for a crash, but they are nice small little city workhorses that aren't too overpriced (or at least weren't last time I checked, which was a while ago.)
Anything in particular you want to know about them!

rallec, Apr 4, 5:18am
Oh and they are the same as the same era suzuki swift/cultus.And since 2000 Pakistan have been, and still are, making them.

countrypete, Apr 4, 5:21am
Oh dear, you just invited in the local Suzuki-hating troll.I give it 5 minutes.

connor14, Apr 4, 6:22am
Yep, terrible little beasts with starter motor issues. Avoid at all cost. Good luck tonight :)

tony.ok, Apr 4, 6:35am
i've got a holden barina but not sure what yr it is,lol.its a peppy little car and cheap on gas,but i had to get a modification done somewhere behind the dash,as every now and again,all the dash lights would flash on and off,the speedo would'nt work,the rev counter would'nt work,the indicators would'nt work,etc,etc.mechanic told me it's a common problem with my model car.just had to have new coil pack and spark plugs,but thats probably not exclusive to barinas.so overall,not a terrible car,but i'd never buy another one.mrs tony

tony.ok, Apr 4, 6:37am
oh,yep,lol.forgot about the starter motor.mrs tony

tony.ok, Apr 4, 6:41am
i'm lucky that mr tony's pretty handy with a spanner so he'll generally be able to have a look and a fiddle around under the bonnet.he did say that my car's really annoying to fix as everything's hard to get to and the parts all seem to be only available from the holden dealer as they're different from regular parts.he's going to be doing my fuel filter soon-ish and he said it's in a pr**k of a place to get to and also has a different thingamabob so can't just go to repco's,lol.mrs tony

countrypete, Apr 4, 7:22am
Sounds like yours is a much later model, not the Suzuki-based one.

treachug, Apr 4, 8:51am
mr tony can get the fuel filter from repco - same fuel filter as used on VT-VZ v6 Commodores, with the commonly used quick release style fitting widely used nowadays. He should use the proper tool to remove it but if not care with a fine flat blade screwdriver will work just as well. Tell him to price it genuine as well if the Holden dealer in your area is on to it they will stock ACDelco filters which are competitively priced .
And p***K of a place! should be under the floor roughly located under the rear seat - not hard to do at all!

michael.benn, Apr 4, 12:21pm
Well. i won :) slightly more than i wanted to pay for it but screw it.

Life is there to be lived. Roadtrip time!

michael.benn, Apr 13, 4:35am
Okay, well, the car made it back from Paraparaumu to Wellington and then all the way back to West Auckland via the east coast . carterton, masterton, gisborne, napier/hastings, whakatane, the mount, tauranga, coromandel, and then finally back to Glen Eden. The road trip was fantastic.

On to the problem - the car pisses out water through the water pump breather hole on top. there's possibly another place it leaks out too but I'll have to have a proper look at it. Radiator is shot but still working.

Would it be worth replacing the water pump, cambelt etc etc ! Or should I cut my losses and walk away. It seems to be a good little car. I paid $950 for it.

ceebee2, Apr 13, 11:05pm
Souunds like a loose earth.has it had recent panel work!

ceebee2, Apr 13, 11:09pm
Replace water pump, cam belt and ALL jockey wheels, tensioner, well worth it and easy to do (Exp Tech of course) Check out Trade me for a brand new radiator as there are some very competitively priced new ones . Approx. $240 for a recore / replacement header tank.

michael.benn, Apr 15, 11:43pm
I'm not an exp tech, but I'd be keen to have a crack at it. Got all the time in the world because I've got my Accord to use as my daily so yeah. Thanks man.

ceebee2, Apr 16, 5:14am
Get a Haynes manual and some tools and go for it.follow the book to the letter.