2005 Nissan Caravan 3.0di - I want a rev counter ?

apollo77, May 2, 7:11am
These dont come out with em. but need a different alternator- one that has a pulse thing that will work a rev counter. any one got any ideas on doing it !
OR where to get a suitable alternator for 3.0litre di diesel !

beast9, May 2, 7:15am
most diesel rev counters are run off the injector pump via a sensor so if its not there then youmaybe out of luck

supernova2, May 2, 7:53am
Nothing is impossible.If there is no factory part available then you need an electornics wiz who can make up a hall effect circuit to provide the required impulse.Easy to say but have no idea where you find the electronics wiz.

bwg11, May 2, 8:21am
Suggest you look at other Nissans which use the same motor or do high spec caravans have a tach! Being a late model diesel, the ECU must have a rpm input and the wiring loom probably includes the tach wiring, but where you get the tach from and how you fit it is another problem.

jmma, May 2, 9:51am
To see how fast the motors going dah (o:

aredwood, May 2, 10:07am
Assuming no suitable signal available at the ECU, Get one of these http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp!ID=ZD1900&keywords=zd1900&form=KEYWORD Join a small tab of sheet steel to the crank pulley wheel and mount the above hall effect sensor so the steel tap passes through the gap in it. Connect the red and black wires to 12V and ground. And connect the green wire to your tach. You also need to connect a 1000 ohm resistor between the red and green wires. Set the number of cylinders switch on the tach to 4 cylinders. Regardless of how many your car has.

aredwood, May 2, 10:15am
Correction. You will need 2 Steel tabs on the crankshaft pulley wheel to get the tach to read correctly. Or if you are attaching the steel tabs to a camshaft pulley wheel you will need 4 tabs.

apollo77, May 2, 10:42am
aredwood ,, thanks . I local guy at the garage will be able to sort that one out. and a much cheaper option than $450 for a new alternator etc . Cheers
.Oh and you other dicks. the motor is used to drive other machinery and hence the need for knowing what revs we are pulling .

jmma, May 2, 10:48am
Oh this dick was right then (o:

jmma, May 3, 5:44am
Gee, all I sais was "This richard got it right" Yet post above can use that word and not get narked on, go figure )o:

petermcg, May 3, 6:28am
I have a rev counter from a diesel engine that I dont want, I did think about using it but needed either a pulse unit for the fuel pump, and maybe an alternator as some do it,,,

pup2, May 3, 6:33am
Run a wire off one of the stator windings from inside the alternator

aredwood, May 4, 8:42am
I thought of that method too. But You would need to accurately measure the output frequency Vs the engine RPM So you can calculate a correction factor and then you would need a circuit to perform that correction.