FG FALCON / VE HOLDEN

Page 1 / 2
lillian8, May 2, 7:24am
Going to buy one of these cars so any comments good or bad. dont need the FORD VS HOLDEN BULLS@#T tho, just want to know what people have found with these cars

a.woodrow, May 2, 7:26am
They are much of a muchness in regards to reliability, performance etc. take them both for a drive then pick the one you enjoyed most, if you aren't particular on brand

yogibearz, May 2, 7:30am
Our good car for longer trips etc is a 12 month old FG XR6. i beleive its a great car. We went last weekend through the desert rd on a trip. It handles well at speed when cornering and over about 600 km that weekend returned average fuel economy of 8.6Lit/100km. At 100kmh the engine is barely idling at 1500 rpm. The six speed gearbox is good. Prior to this one we had a 2006 XR6 and attrade in time it had done 150000km trouble free.

thunderbolt, May 2, 7:47am
I had the choice between FG XR6 and SV6 when I got my last car. (Mid 2008)
I chose the XR6 and it has been a good car.
And everytime I get a SV6 for a rental it reaffirms my choice.

One of my workmates chose the SV6 (without even driving one) after having 3 BA/BF shape Xr6's in a row and he wanted a change.
He hates it. Poor driving position, many problems (timing chains, Suspension, Brakes, electrical gremlins, and now at 3 yrs and 130km it needs a Trans replaced.

Drive both and then it should be clear.

kingfisher21, May 2, 7:48am
FG by miles, heaps better build quality and much more comfortable and nicer to drive.

clark20, May 2, 8:12am
Not in my opinion, the VE drives much better

mantagsi, May 2, 8:23am
VE build quality issues tend to crop up, just keep an eye out. Fuel consumption isn't as flash as hyped, but probably expected for size of car/engine. Have had issues with iphone bluetooth on ve factory stereo, not sure what the guts was, never got resolved. Not sure about the coons, truthfully dont really hear anything bad about them asides from styling. Not a fan of the interiors of either make

fordcrzy, May 2, 8:54am
the FG is a much better car. its build quality is much better. the only downside to the FG is that it seems to have a fair bit of road noise from the boot, but this is easily solved with some dynamat.

xs1100, May 2, 8:59am
the timing chain is probably the biggest problem on a VE you do need to get this checked apparently a lot of warrenty companies are now excluding this due to it being a 3 k repair

carlz05, May 2, 9:05am
Had one of thefirst VE's a a company car and really liked it.Had no issues with it, drove it for 3 years. The first couple of years of the VE did have timing chain problems, mine didn't, but I understand that the VE from about 2010 onwards had a change of timing chain to fix the issue.Take both for a drive, think they're both good cars.

lillian8, May 31, 8:52am
Thanks for the comments guys, I went for a FG XR6 in the end. I found it a much better carthan the VE SV6 with ride,build quality,vision etc

unbeatabull, May 31, 8:57am
Good to hear. If you need to know anything about the FG feel free to ask away - I work at a Ford Dealer working on these cars everyday so should be able to help with any problems etc :)

lillian8, May 31, 8:59am
CHEERS BUD

3tomany, May 31, 9:12am
all it takes is a drive most of us are either red or blue so if you are not brand concious then a drive will show youre preferance and congradulations on youre choice enjoy youre ride.

jfstyle, Jun 1, 8:16am
should have brought a mondeo/safer/as big inside/built better/rides better/quieter/but most of all will hold its value/will tow 2000kg/not that much slowerjf

jfstyle, Jun 1, 8:18am
i forgot cheaper/can get a 320nm torq/diesel/ jf

jfstyle, Jun 1, 8:20am
i forgot/psa diesel best in the world/most sort after second hand car in the world

bigfatmat1, Jun 1, 8:29am
VE have so many electrical problems have seen so many through the doors with common faults never worked on a fg so that must be a good sign

unbeatabull, Jun 1, 8:30am
The mondeo's are no good for towing a big load. They have considerable less power, don't handle as well. Both cars have same safety ratings. Mondeo's chew through brake pads and rotors, and are quite common to get water leaks from water pump, thermostat housing and heater hoses.

I'd far rather have the FG over any Mondeo.

grangies, Jun 1, 8:32am
They both may look nice, but both are built to much lower quality standards than big Japanese and German cars.

The Aussie Ford and Holden built cars have big strong engines that seem to go and go and go. But the bodies and running gear die too soon. Especially the bodies.

smac, Jun 1, 8:47am
Are these issues common across the range! Surely brake issues can be sorted by decent pads!

For the comment about towing, do you mean the handling or the power!

unbeatabull, Jun 1, 9:06am
We have tried a few aftermarket pads and they all do the same. The diesel ones seem to wear faster then the petrols - Diesels you won't get much left after 45-50k, whereas petrols generally stretch to 60-70k.

Towing they are ok for your small trailers etc but I wouldn't go towing a boat or car transporter. They aren't the gruntiest of car's and being FWD they don't handle well with a big load latched onto the rear. It will pull it, but it won't do it easily anyway. I think they are only rated to 1500kg whereas the Falcon's are 2200kg.

3tomany, Jun 1, 11:17am
Who cares! You are now commenting on a car that was not asked about, and indeed, after the guy has brought the car!
UUUUUUUUmmmmmmm!

franc123, Jun 1, 11:35am
For the price they get sold for new and the sort of development budget the Australian car builders have thats hardly surprising. You have to pay substantially more for these superior Jap and German cars you speak of when they are new for something of comparable performance and comfort.The quality of the likes of interior fittings and plastics in them, as well as much of the electrical and electronic stuff isn't significantly better or longer lasting in the real world either, much of it is from the same manufacturers FFS, bosch, siemens, visteon, delphi etc.

icemans1, Jun 1, 3:06pm
OP - do a bit of research on the rust issues coons tend to have in the boot