Q - Diesel engine on Overrun.

jhwjhw, May 4, 4:58am
1 - Does the engine management system close down the fuel to a diesel pump! when a diesel engine goes on overrun, for example - when going down a hill!
2 - Diesels used to have glowplugs to assist starting on a cold engine, but my 2000 something Hiace van diesels starts just like a petrol engine, why!

mugenb20b, May 4, 8:15am
1. I don't think so.

2. Most diesels have glow plugs, even common rail ones. But, answer to your question. Because:

a) All of your glow plugs are working well. My old POS Estima never needed to be glowed, started every time.
b) Outside air may not be cold enough, so glowing may not be required.

I have had a 1998 Hiace here recently, frosty cold morning, glow plug timer was toast, and the bitch wouldn't start. Had to get a jumper pack onto the battery, 10 seconds of cranking got it going in the end, heaps of white smoke.

NZTools, May 4, 9:04am
Most diesels mechanical or electronicly controlled, shut the diesel off completely on overrun.
Many diesels also have an inlet manifold warmer, which heats the air as it passes through the inlet manifold.
When was the last time you saw glowplugs on a tractor or large truck engine!

ladatrouble, May 4, 10:54am
Indirect injection diesels nearly always need glow plugs, direct injection seldom do. Direct injection diesels were mainly large engines, but in later years they have made the smaller diesels direct injection too. Common rail engines will have glow plugs to reduce cold start emission - it's all about clean air these days.

intrade, May 11, 7:24am
2 direct injection does not need glowing unless it is close or below 0 degree that is why they still got glowplugs , should say so in owner manual that it dont need glowing .
Idi indirct injected diesel all need glowing and old jappas are all idi hence they need glowing fully to start em.