Is my mitsubishi torque converter ok?

red97, May 13, 3:12am
hi all
my torque converter is on a 4g13. dont know anything about them, when i look in the hole that the tranny shaft goes into, there are two splined rings. the larger of the two spins quite freely with finger while the smaller deepest one does not move at all, i assume this is all fairly normal, my question is regarding the larger spinning ring, there is a fair bit of slop in all directions, probably as much as 3mm, is this normal! any help apreciated

tonyrockyhorror, May 13, 3:35am
What leads you to believe that it might not be as it should be!

red97, May 13, 3:45am
Hi all, swapping a 4g13 from a lancer to a mirage, lancer was a manual mirage is an auto, pulled out engine put the torque converter on to new engine taking great care to install exactly as it was on other engine. all went ok. joined all the dots went to start and there was a click then nothing. tried to turn over with a ratchet on the pulley no movement at all. took engine out put it back in turning the crank every time i tightened a bolt between the motor and tranny. then it would seize with 5mm still to go so i loosened off till it would turn again. anyway i tried a few times and 18 hours later here we are so with my pride still stuck in my throat i ask does anybody have any advice. any help would be great!

yogibearz, May 13, 3:49am
the torque convertor needs to fitted into the front pump of the transmission correctly.If its not tightening it all up to pull it into place by the bolts has probably damaged the front pump drive and or torque convertor.Inspect both the drive locators that fit into the pump.these are on the torque convertor and the gears that they fit into. thats the front of the transmission.

red97, May 13, 4:31am
just had a look at the drive locaters on transmission and torque converter, they look fine, although i imagine any damge done would be further back in the tranny!

tonyrockyhorror, May 13, 4:47am
As above, torque converter should be installed to the transmission, not the flex plate.

Presumably the auto box is a known quantity! You have first hand knowledge of its operation!

red97, May 13, 4:57am
yes the auto box is known to me and was fine as of last week when the drama began, blew head gasket but box was fine, hence replacement engine.

red97, May 13, 5:00am
hi, im finding it hard to pin down an answer on this but could you tell me if im getting this right,
1 i should position t/c inside tranny
2 position engine with flex plate to within spanner width of tranny
3 boltthe four flex plate bolt to t/c
4 slide it home and bolt together
cheers!

wimwom, May 13, 5:27am
Access to TC bolts is normally made via removable inspection cover at bottom rear of engine, 2 10mm bolts to base of block and 2 more into bottom of trans. TC should be positioned in trans and moved as well as mushed until located fully.This inspection cover can go wrong and cause the same issue with the motor not going home correctly. Good luck.
You did remove spigot from rear of crankshaft !

mugenb20b, May 13, 5:30am
Ignore #2 (there should be an access panel that you can remove to gain access to t/c bolts) and #4 comes before #3.

mugenb20b, May 13, 5:39am
1. T/C in the transmission, make sure it's fully seated.
2. Fit engine and bolt it to the trans. All bellhousing bolts tight.
3. Make sure the crank still turns.
4. Fit all T/C bolts to the flex plate, hand tight.
5. Make sure the crank still turns.
6. Tighten T/C to flex plate bolts in a crisscross pattern (like wheel nuts).
7. Make sure the crank can still turn. If not, you screwed something up.

red97, May 13, 6:22am
thats great info thanks for that, i should have sought advice prior to starting but live and learn, dont racall seeing an access hatch but will check it out tomorrow after work and get it done

red97, May 14, 8:12am
that little gem of advice was the key to the whole operation, wish i had asked earlier. cheers

gizmsme, May 15, 6:46am
Looks like that advise came in the post 9, previous to that one.

red97, May 15, 6:51am
yes it does appear that way