Mitsubishi engine swap problems

red97, May 13, 3:06am
Hi all,swapping a 4g13 from a lancer to a mirage, lancer was a manual mirage is an auto, pulled out engine put the torque converter on to new engine taking great care to install exactly as it was on other engine. all went ok. joined all the dots went to start and there was a click then nothing. tried to turn over with a ratchet on the pulley no movementat all. took engine out put it back in turning the crank every time i tightened a bolt between the motor and tranny. then it would seize with 5mm still to go so i loosened off till it would turn again. anyway i tried a few times and 18 hours later here we are so with my pride still stuck in my throat i ask does anybody have any advice. any help would be great!

mugenb20b, May 13, 3:19am
The torque converter needs to be installed in the transmission. Then, when you bolt up the bellhousing to the engine, you bolt the T/C to the flexi plate.

mugenb20b, May 13, 3:20am
I thought I told you in last thread to just simply replace the head gasket. That would've taken 8 hours max.

mugenb20b, May 13, 3:22am
Can you turn the crank with the T/C disconnected!

red97, May 13, 3:25am
cheers for that, i assume you have to get them as close as possible before bolting tc to flexiplate! ie just enough room to get the spanner in!

red97, May 13, 3:27am
crank turns freely with tc disconected and when it is conected, the only time it doesnt turn is when the bolts joining engine and tranny get toa certain point.

kingfisher21, May 13, 3:27am
If you've tried winding it together with any force you will of destroyed the oil pump in the trans probably, The convertor needs to be fully pushed into the trans in the correct position and held there before you even try to bolt it all together.

red97, May 13, 3:31am
cheers, would there be any visible symptoms of this!

red97, May 13, 3:42am
yes you did tell me that, with all due respect, i did the math and the swap came out cheaper for a number of reasons, my math may be wrong but i will live with that,i have spent a lot of hours this weekend trying something i have never done before, and at the end i will have learnt something, haha that something may be next time take it to the garage and bite the bullet but hey

jmma, May 13, 4:49am
Did you change flywheel to flexiplate and change spigot bush!

red97, May 13, 4:54am
ummm i took everything off untill the bare engines looked identical then put the auto stuff back on, i can only assume that included flexiplate and spigot bush,are they the ones with five holes!

jmma, May 13, 5:00am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/acalltomartyrsx/johns%20MZ11/ny006.jpg

Something like this, but you need to check the size of the bush in the middle where this bolts on

red97, May 13, 5:02am
yep changed those over the one manual hadone with a clutch thing atttached, so i took it all off and put the one from the auto with the t/c on it on there.

jmma, May 13, 5:08am
Just make sure you check the size of the bush in the middle, on the back of the crankshaft.
Then google fitting torque converter, then fit this correctly to the transmission,

jmma, May 13, 5:12am

elect70, May 14, 2:19am
with all auostc must be must be hard up toflex plate before doing up ordistortflex plate . take it off & check havent done it

red97, May 14, 8:07am
thanks for all the tips guys/girls just been test driving the mirage with her new power plant, could probly do with a tune as all i did was tdc no1 then threw the distributor in, if im honest the one piece of adve that would have taken about 18 hours off the job would have been "on mitsi 4g13 engines there is a piece of the crank case that unbolts at the transmission end that allows acess to the torque converter but it is quite hard to spot if you dont know its there" however thats what its all about isnt it! giving something a go and backing yourself and falling back on the knowledge of others when you come up short.

desmodave, May 14, 8:26am
Good on ya .You may have lost abit of time but they still make that

budgel, May 14, 8:28pm
Good on a ya mate!what exactly was stopping it from going together!

red97, May 15, 4:19am
there apeared to be some sort of spring loaded oil seal that it had to push past, so a bit of persuasion with a rubber mallet and it popped in the extra 20mm that i needed, but it would only go in by itself not connected to the engine.

cowlover, May 15, 4:27am
It was what!Never had to hammer a converter into a box in my lifetime.Im guessing there's going to be an oil leak soon.

red97, May 15, 5:58am
cowlover wrote:
It was what!Never had to hammer a converter into a box in my lifetime.Im guessing there's going to be an oil leak soon.[/quote
yeah it was a rubber mallet, i had the estwing on standby and a six pounder as a last resort, it was that stage of the job it was going in.