What is the LEGAL speed limit for spacesaver?

Page 1 / 2
nightboss, May 8, 1:38am
Is there a legal speed limit in NZ law!
Are there any laws covering use of spacesavers like how long you can run around on them too!

pandai, May 8, 1:40am
You might see a speed limit on the tyre itself.I wouldn't push it past there.

shelleigh, May 8, 1:42am
Just searched spacesaver new zealand and found this -
Space-saver wheels

Some cars have a space-saver wheel as the spare wheel. Space-saver wheels are much smaller than the vehicle's other wheels so they take up less storage room.

Space-saver wheels are for emergency use only and are not designed to be used over long distances. If you get a flat tyre and replace a wheel with a space-saver wheel, you should only use it to get directly home or to a place where the flat tyre can be repaired or replaced.

The vehicle is likely to handle differently with a space-saver wheel. Drive carefully and don't drive faster than 80km/h. If the space-saver wheel has a sticker showing a lower speed, then that speed applies.

Space-saver wheels must have a safety label that states that the tyre is for temporary use only, what the maximum safe speed is for the tyre and what the correct pressure is. Make sure you read and follow the label.

Note: make sure the space-saver tyre is inflated to the correct pressure. This is much higher than normal tyre pressure.

Is copied directly from the LZTA website so is the correct info :)

martin11, May 8, 1:44am
Space savers I think are 80 kph look on the side of it .
They are for emergency use only to get you to a place your tyre can be fixed not for permanent fitment .
I drove from Kaikoura to home 185km at 80kph or less and you can see the wear on the spacesaver not good

nightboss, May 8, 1:56am
Thanks for the above replies. All correct.
Can anyone please post a link to a LAW that covers use of spacesaver or similar spares on NZ roads.

curlcrown, May 8, 2:38am
In theory they are illegal to use as you con not pass a W.O.F with different size tyres on the same axle so if using one you are operating a vehicle that is not up to W.O.F. standard.

jokerboss, May 8, 2:38am
because! have you had an incident! its stamped on them 80kph rating, much like slicktyres have "for racing only" (and are also not DOT approved, slicks that is, not sure bout spacies)

irule, May 8, 6:53am
What if you fit 4 spacesavers, is that legal!

doctor_evil99, May 8, 7:01am
Yes it's legal to be an idiot!

nightboss, May 8, 7:07am
Guy at work had a minor accident while one was on, insurance says with spacesaver on car was not up to WOF standard so are rejecting claim.

lugee, May 8, 8:08am
Technically yes.

EDIT: I seem to remember seeing someone post on here with a car that actually had 4 space savers fitted.

pzkpfw, May 8, 8:12am
They can only reject the claim if the non-WOF standard item was related to the cause of the accident. e.g. if due to the space saver the car lost control and had the crash.

nightboss, May 8, 8:28am
Is spare checked at WOF time now!
How can putting on the checked spare make vehicle non-WOF!

pauldw, May 8, 8:32am
No, the Rule that allows a space saver only allows ONE to be fitted at a time.
http://nzta.thomsonreuters.co.nz/DLEG-NZL-LTSA-T.LTR-32013.pdf

a.woodrow, May 8, 8:48am
The spare doesn't have to be to a wof standard

ETA if the the tyre caused or contributed to the accident the insurance co could reasonably decline, if not they should pay. A space saver fitted to a vehicle means the vehicle is no longer to WOF standard

irule, May 8, 9:08am
Assuming you use them as designed, are they really that dangerous!

pzkpfw, May 8, 9:17am
Not sure about that: http://www.vtnz.co.nz/faqs#faq_507 (The "standard" is different to the "installed" wheels.)

a.woodrow, May 8, 9:19am
Uhm read your link - like I said, it doesn't have to be to a wof standard, just secure and must have a pressure/speed sticker

pzkpfw, May 8, 9:21am
I believe the spare can be bald. But once you put it on the car, you now have a bald tyre on the car - and that now makes it not up to WOF standard. (But if you have a crash, I don't think the insurance can be denied, unless that bald tyre contributed to the accident).

pzkpfw, May 8, 9:21am
Needing a sticker - is - a standard.

a.woodrow, May 8, 9:27am
I'm pretty sure what nightboss was angling at was tyre condition/safety, not whether it had a sticker or not. I know what the requirements for spares are, so if you prefer I will rephrase.

The spare tyre - space saver or otherwise - is not required to meet the condition standard of a road tyre. i.e. it can be of unsafe construction, bald, bulged, flat, punctured, wire hanging out, torn to shreds etc etc etc as long as it's secure and has a sticker if required. If such a spare is fitted to the car then car is no longer up to wof standard.

pzkpfw, May 8, 9:31am
Yep, as in post #19.
Makes the rules pretty stupid, really. If you have a tyre like that, it'll pass the WOF, but then you can't really use it and stay in WOF condition.

nightboss, May 8, 9:43am
So to keep insurance company happy, if you get a flat tyre and you only have a spacesaver, call a towtruck.
That vacuums.

a.woodrow, May 8, 11:03am
Aye that's why you biff the cookie cutter and get a real spare tyre. Is it likely that the space saver caused the accident!

bill-robinson, May 8, 7:03pm
just how can a spare wheel and tyre cause an accident!