Hemi 265 Motor

jason18, Apr 11, 8:42pm
Hey Guys, Just scored my self a 265 D331 so its the 218 HP motor. Its been sitting but turns over freely etc. It was running but had leaking frost plug so he took it out. To freshen up the motor what should I do. Dont want to spend a huge amount as looking to buy a rental property so the car comes second.Would taking head off getting that cleaned up and valve seals etc done and maybe piston rings! Never rebuilt an engine before so any advice would be great.

pdc1, Apr 11, 9:09pm
D331 is just the standard one.
Have a look at the spark plugs and the exhaust ports and see how clean it was running. Valve seals can be done without removing the head.
Bit of a lottery. It's an odd story to discard the motor if it was just a frost plug, unless the motor was being swapped for something else like a V8.
Either try it as is, (shouldn't be too hard to set it up and run it on the floor) or go right through it with a rebuild. You may get away with rings, but it's more than likely you will need to rebore and have camshaft work

skin1235, Apr 11, 9:25pm
+1 for the run it like it is
they were bulletproof those old girls
pull the plugs, pour in some engine oil, fit a starter and some cooling system, and fire it up

oil in bores = smoke for china, so have it on a pallet and take it outside before firing it up

after about 10 minutes it will be settling down and tellig you how it is for condition re bearings, compression etc

guide seals are replaceable without removing head, was the D331 solids or hydraulic!, you may get a bit of noise from lifters if hydraulic but a can of shuddup will assist there

jason18, Apr 11, 10:14pm
Oh I looked up code it says 3 is 265 other 3 is high performance 2bbl model, and 1 is auto. He was going to swap it over to another motor but never got around to it. Will run on pallet guys and go from there! Cheers.

elect70, Apr 12, 3:10am
I had 265 rangergood old girlstood up to lot of punishment, timing chain gets noisy .

pdc1, Apr 12, 4:40am
Yes that is correct, and I think that the original rated horsepower was 203.
The 218 hp one probably was a D34. one. I was just meaning it was basically what Todd motors fitted to its Regal and base Chargers. I don't know if Todd motors used a lower spec 265 at all but there were single barrels low compression ones in aussie.

jason18, Apr 12, 5:23am
No 4 was premium performance 248hp at 4,800
No 3 was High performance 218hp @ at 4,800
no 2 was the single barrel carby models 203 hp

All good tho. After all this time its probably only has 150hp left haha
My info was from these two websites

http://www.valiant.org/valiant/hemi-six.html http://www.chargerclubofwa.asn.au/production-detail.asp!iProductionID=44

pdc1, Apr 12, 7:34am
I haven't got the time at the moment to find other links. I think that the info that you have looked at has errors in it.I'm still pretty certain that you will find that the 218hp motor was a D34. and the D33 is 203hp.
The 248hp will be a D35. and a six pack as well as the D36.

It doesn't really matter if it is a D33. or a D34. anyway because no doubt you will add extractors to the D33 and give the cam a tickle up, carbie etc, and you will be then talking more that the D34. anyway.

jason18, Apr 12, 7:39am
Yeah Im not to worried. You reckon a 350cfm will be to small! I have one on my 245

pdc1, Apr 12, 11:12am
The 350 is slightly bigger than the 2 barrel carter that the D33. and D34. used so you are already better off. I think that by memory the carter flows about 280 cfm!
They used to use the same 2 Barrel carbie on the 245 & 265 (both D33 &D34) so you can just use the carb you have in the meantime.
The D34 had the cast twin outlet exhaust manifold - probably the main reason for the little extra hp

cuda.340, Apr 12, 6:41pm
how long was the engine parked for. chances are that after a couple of years the open valves have developed some rust on the seats so only a matter of time for burnt valve syndrome. i knew of a 383 that was parked for 5 years before being reused as is. burnt 2 valves in 3 months of regular use. if it was me, i'd rering n bearing it with a valve refacing job. not that expensive but at least you know how the engine realy is.

jason18, Apr 12, 7:38pm
Oh k cuda. Will follow that advice. Would rather keep my running engine in and do this one up so its a mint runner anyway Then Im not hassled with a motor that blows oil in a couple of months and I can keep car on road!. Replace a few gaskets etc so hopefully no small oil leaks.