Mitsi rvr's .any reviews , known issues etc ?

pog_mo_thoin, Apr 11, 10:48pm
looking at getting something in the 95-99 range .

trogedon, Apr 11, 10:52pm
They're good at banging into Libero doors.well at least our Libero.

skin1235, Apr 11, 11:01pm
they also havethe habit of blowing the auto's

back about '94 they started using a surface compound inside the torque converters, this is now breaking down and clogs the control valves in the boxes, causing a partial engagement of the final gear, which strips the gear, and costs approx $1500 to repair - you can get s/hand boxes for about $800 but they are rare ( cos most of them are now stuffed)

the boxes are also quite varied, there were about 4 models of boxes ( all behind the same type converters unfortunately ) but only one model will fit your engine, lotto type chances of getting one to replace yours

however - if it has had a box rebuild recently it will have a modified t/q on it, and will give many years of untroubled motoring
they pull like demented schoolboys for what they are, thought a bit thirsty while pulling hard, for general running they are as economical as any other 95 vehicles, huge economy efforts came later, they will not match a 2001 plus model for km/lt or lt/100km

hamishcookie, Apr 11, 11:15pm
Just brought a 95 non turbo 2l auto 4x4, gets around 10.5 to 11 liters per 100km mainly open road, its done 170,000 and I did have a little auto trouble on my trek up north over Easter and have just put some conditioner in the trans. Look for rust in roof as they are prone to problem there as well. Love mine though, comfy to drive, good visibility was told to stay away from the GDI models which I think is 97 onwards.Heaps of room in the back just wish Toyota made it and not Mitsubishi.

skin1235, Apr 11, 11:19pm
have a very tidy 95 sport gear model 4wd sitting beside the shed, been there 15 mths, rego on hold, motors fine, body is fine, 5 X 85% tyres, box is stuffed
an offer over $400 will take it away

pog_mo_thoin, Apr 11, 11:22pm
thanks for that skin . so would you have the same issue with a manual ! would the manual gearbox be a safer option than auto !

they look like a good little motor for what i want to do . which isa bit of skiing in the winter and dragging a light tinny around the place in summer and the odd bit of kayaking and diving .
need something to replace my petrol surf as it's just getting to costly to run .130 bux every 1.5 weeks:(
was thinking a suzuki escudo but not really needing the offroad capability lately and they are pricey

pog_mo_thoin, Apr 11, 11:26pm
yeh hamish . i agree . i'd love if toyota had something like this .cant beat them on reliability

davidgb, Apr 11, 11:51pm
have a 93 sportsgear. very good to drive, good visibility and not so hungry on gas. sadly on seats 4 people.

skin1235, Apr 11, 11:52pm
manual are fine, no t/q to worry about, wish I could get the bits to convert this one, box, flywheel, pedals, linkages, ecu, etc etc, would be cheaper to pick up a donor car

Don't buy into toyo are more reliable, they can both last a good number of years if maintenance is kept up, don't forget there a lot of dead toyo's around too

skin1235, Apr 11, 11:55pm
what year surf, solid front or independant, and whats your idea of it's worth, looking for a set of springs, all four, for a solid hilux, surfs used even heavier springs, could be ideal

mugenb20b, Apr 12, 12:17am
Sorry, just to confirm. Is the box stuffed or just the torque converter!

skin1235, Apr 12, 12:27am
both

andy61, Apr 12, 12:29am
The manuals had issues too. Best tosteer clear of RVRs.Have you not noticedhow many RVRs blow blue smoke esp from traffic lights.

motorboy2011, Apr 12, 12:50am
thats the engine, not the rvr. a lot of the mitzi lineup use the same engine, and as such smoke.

kandjaja, Apr 12, 5:14am
Some models are quite thirsty.

skin1235, Apr 12, 5:17am
most vehicles of that era where, petrol was less than $1.20 lt back then, in fact in 95 may have even been sub $1

beast9, Apr 12, 5:22am
and they are also good for popping a capacitor in the ecu that then cooks the ignition circuit and the only error code it gives when it does this is coil pack error and the ecus for them are worth 200$ and its not fun when it shits itself 3 hours from home and also agreed gearboxes in these are prone for stripping spline teeth

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 6:51am
Auto! I had a '92 RVR with a stuffed auto and only took a day to find a replacement box - was $350 from a wreckers with a warranty. You do need to find the correct box though, but the 95 Sports gear is common enough. Mine was the uncommon one with the engine mount on the engine rather than the trans like most of them.

biddy6, Apr 12, 9:09am
We currently have an RVR and a CRV, both autos ,we find the Crv gets used more, similar fuel use, but the Crv has four Doors and 5 seats and just feels good.

franc123, Apr 12, 9:39am
They do.it's called a RAV4.Why would anyone bother farting about with a timebomb mitsi that is nearing the end of its life that is prone to a multiplicity of problems, many that are caused by poor quality materials/design/manufacture and a simple lack of durability. RAV's also have far better ground clearance for offroading, have none of the unreliability issues and have far better resale. Economy is probably about the same.

skin1235, Apr 12, 9:46am
they may have common a few yrs ago pw, but they're getting scarcer on the wreckers shelves today - too many of them have blown the trans