Jazz - anyone -VW - passat - parts

ryanm2, Apr 11, 9:13am
Do you know what the going rate for a cambelt / waterpump etc replacement is for the 1.8T engine! In a 98 passat. Also, is it worthwhile bringing in parts myself for the mechanic to fit or is that just a hassle for me and an annoyance for the mechanic. Im a sparky and quite like it when people supply fittings - if they dont work correctly its not on us to fix.

hrt, Apr 11, 9:24am
If you bring your own parts in and they get fitted, but one of the parts has a failure due to manufacturing reasons then it'll be a hassle. If the mechanic supplies the parts and something goes wrong then it is all on the mechanic and their supplier, not you. If you supply parts and something goes wrong then you'll likely find that the manufacturer will supply you a replacement part and you'll be up for any incurred damage and the costs of the labour on the job again.

Just get the mechanic to supply the bits. If they've done one of those cars before then it shouldn't take too long. They're reasonably straight forward.

jasongroves, Apr 11, 9:25am
What year Passat!

ryanm2, Apr 11, 9:26am

ryanm2, Apr 11, 9:27am
Very straight forward apparently - am going to ring a couple of places tomorrow and get quotes.
Your answer was what I was thinking.

jasongroves, Apr 11, 9:31am
Autodata quote 2.5 hours, so thats a rough estimate of labour for ya.
An indication of work and parts involved:
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4461/passatf.jpg

intrade, Apr 11, 8:41pm
for vw parts you can try qualiparts or EML
qualitat.co.nz and euromarketing.co.nz

motorboy2011, Apr 11, 10:13pm
id try direct your mechanic to where he can get the cheap parts, then you get cheap parts and if something is wrong with them, its on him for parts and labour to replace it

trdbzr, Apr 12, 1:29am
FCP Groton

ryanm2, Apr 12, 7:39am
when the kits are this cheap its hard to justify buying locally. The cambelt kit alone is $150 , plus tensioner and waterpump etc etc.

ryanm2, Apr 12, 7:39am