Help please, 1988 Mitsubishi Galant

terdsky, Apr 12, 1:41am
Hi all, I have a 1988 Galant E33A 2.0 DOHC which has the following problem.
Idleling for the most part is smooth with the occasional sputter but when the throttle is pressed it will bog right down for a second till it reaches rpm and will run perfectly,
When car is put in gear it will idle very rough and once again struggle to raise rpm when throttle is pressed.
Driving the car around it will run continuously bad when accelerating but will occasionally accelerate perfectly only to bog down again a second later and then run fairly smooth when not under acceleration.
Is this anything anyone has struck before! any help will be greatly appreciated and I will try to answer any questions. Thanks

skin1235, Apr 12, 1:47am
do you have any idea when it last had a set of sparkplugs and atune up

terdsky, Apr 12, 1:51am
Spark plugs are fine and fairly new, checked recently, and not a compression issue as this would not explain the running conditions i've described.

thunderbolt, Apr 12, 2:31am
Sounds like the HT leads are shorting out through the bakerlite tubes.
Have they been checked!

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 2:43am
is the check engine light on! I would check the TPS values and the idle stop/rest switch and connection.

bellky, Apr 12, 2:52am
OP checking the Throttle Position Sensor values is not something that can be done at home probly.

skin1235, Apr 12, 2:56am
it's a 88, how flash was the electronics on them, fairly basic fly by wire techno back then

phillip.weston, Apr 12, 3:52am
Sorry but it is. It's a very basic fuel injection system and all the TPS does is give a resistance value anywhere from 0 to infinity depending on how far open the throttle is. You can EASILY check the TPS values by using a basic multimeter and the correct resistance readings are obtainable on the internet or workshop manuals.

bellky, Apr 12, 4:02am
Sweet. Thanks.

terdsky, Apr 12, 6:38am
HT leads are fine, no prob with the insulation on them and doesn't appear to be any moisture around the spark plug tubes.

terdsky, Apr 12, 6:40am
Cheers Phillip, Check engine light is not on but will check these anyway, I have the workshop manual for this model

mugenb20b, Apr 12, 6:41am
How did you go about checking them!

mantagsi, Apr 12, 7:07am
Had a very similar problem with an old '92 GA16DS auto bluebird I've been borrowing - symptoms not nearly as bad, but all I needed was to set the timing (had to be spot on pretty much) and do something about the dizzy cap and rotor, and away she went, good as gold. Oh, also replaced a couple of cracked vacuum lines. BTW, I would trust philip.weston, knows more about mitsi's than mitsi themselves :) top bloke

thunderbolt, Apr 12, 7:11am
Did you look really close at the solid tubes that extend up from the plus!

With the car running, pull them off the plug with insulated plug pliers and ensure they are not tracking through the sides of the tubes.