Hino handbrake

jonieponie, Apr 2, 10:09am
anyone know how to get the wedge out of the slave cylinder on a 87 1017 hino once its broken so i can replace it< im buggered if i can get it out either way, there must be trick to it i dont know,, cheers

jonieponie, Apr 2, 6:42pm
anyone know!

budgel, Apr 2, 8:55pm
I have no idea what the wedge is, would compressed air work!

Can you post a pic!

bubbles244, Apr 3, 9:59am
Why would there be a wedge in your slave cylinder.

cylinder, piston, bleed screw, rubber boot, and rod.take your pick as thats about all the parts that make up a generic slave cylinder

sas777, Apr 3, 1:07pm
I've worked on a late 90's Hino 6 wheeler, odd braking system. The footbrake is air assisted hydraulic, the boosters are in the chassis at front BUT the handbrake is operated by horizontally placed boosters in line with the axle and placed just off the backplate. A rod goes through the backplate and pushes out the wheel-cylinder pistons, via a wedge, then strong return springs bring it all back. The boosters obviously have fixed travel so the adjusting is completed by fine-thread inserts in the piston ends. I guess that if the OP's set up is the same, then the same thing has happened that happened to our truck and you are looking at replacing the wheel cylinders with new parts. Ouch, they are not cheap.
One thing, it won't be the wedge stuck; it will be the self adjusters all seized up. Try soaking in a sealed container of brake cleaner for a day, then gently whack with a copper hammer, you might free it all off.
Best of luck.