Handbrake light?

nave12, Mar 30, 5:41pm
Hi all,my mates 94 ed xr6 does'nt display the handbrake symbol on the dash and he has driven with the hand brake on a couple of times then smells the pads baking which is annoying.We pulled the instrument cluster out and changed the bulb but that was fine and worked in other displays so my question is there a fuse for that light or some kind of sensor that the hand brake itself triggers to activate the light once it has been pulled to the on position!,cheers for any helpful info.

mbikeman1, Mar 30, 6:46pm
yeah theres usally a switch of some sort by or on the handbrake lever

steve98h, Apr 3, 6:15am
sounds like the switch on the lever is earthing out

bigfatmat1, Apr 3, 6:19am
is not earthing out you mean!

steve98h, Apr 3, 8:08am
no the handbrake lever switch is usually negative switch so if it earths out the light will stay off. common problem i find during wofs

kingfisher21, Apr 3, 8:10am
Errr, never seen one like that, pull handbrake on, switch earths out, light comes on.

hyphen, Apr 3, 8:24am
your friend should learn to drive, why rely on lights to tell you the most basic, simplistic thing! Like "the hand brake's on", and should be released before moving off, huh!

bigfatmat1, Apr 3, 8:40am
I think you will find the when the handbrake is on the switch completes the circuit to the neg side of bulb and will illuminate the other side is connected to ignition.