Testing a diesel terrano to keep?

vandewc, Apr 1, 8:48am
Hi,
My truck has a few problems and i'm not sure wether to keep it and get them fixed or add a little more to my mortgage and get another truck.
Who can I go to to get the truck tested mechanically for the engine and maybe gearbox (Most costly items to repair).
What do I need to test to work out if the truck will last me a while longer.
Its done over 200K. The big expense at the moment is the leaking diesel from bad fuel. ($800-$1000).
I live in ch-ch so any suggestions woulr be good.
Thanks

franc123, Apr 1, 10:06am
What model, the pre 1996 D21 model or the later R50 series!

net_oz, Apr 1, 5:09pm
Stuffed seals, not bad fuel.

vandewc, Apr 2, 12:46am
stuffed seals because of bad fuel.

vandewc, Apr 2, 12:46am
Pre 1996 (1993) 21 model

NZTools, Apr 2, 12:52am
No. Stuffed seals because it is 19 years old and 200,000 k's on the clock. The low sulfur diesel may have finished them off, but the seals would have been knackered 10 years ago.

intrade, Apr 2, 4:00am
you got 2 options one is to fix seals and use a additive after or you can try and swell the seals up with 20 liter dextron transmission fluid straight on to the pump and let it sit for a week and hope the selas swell back up unless thez are brittle and cracked already like when it is leaking on pump head it is usually to late and all seals need replacing as that seal cant be changed while pump is on vehicle.

vandewc, Apr 2, 9:18am
How do I go about testing the rest of the truck!
Thanks

mugenb20b, Apr 2, 9:45am
You drive it.and see what feels wrong, like notchy gear changes when cold, whining sounds, the colour and smell of fluids and oils, clunking sounds when driving over rough shit, pulling to one side when driving, exhaust smoke, compression test, rust, tyres, windscreen, etc. There's heaps of checks that can be done. Go on youtube, and type in 'ericthecarguy' and check out his prepurchase inspection on his POS Subaru.

tnt423, Apr 2, 10:24am
You could go to Kaiapoi Repowers.