Dumb anti freeze question here

spunkeymonkey, May 18, 4:23am
am i correct in saying that just because underneath your car bonnet it says you must you a particular brand that you have to use it! I gave my 19 year old some Mobil antifreeze and came back later when I asked her did she put it in and she said no because the manufacturer of the car label underneath the bonnet said must only use Mitsubishi products what ever that means. TIA

foxdonut, May 18, 4:30am
Some cars it matters, some it doesn't.

Honda's used to be very particular about transmission fluid and there are a few specifics for other cars that pop up.

What Mitsubishi is it!

spunkeymonkey, May 18, 4:49am
hi foxdonut thank you for that bit of info my daughters car is a 1995 Mitsubishi Magna. Cheers

richardmayes, May 18, 4:52am
Some engines are more fussy than other engines about needing anti-freeze with the right sort of corrosion resisting additives in it also.

(I can't help you with Mitsubishis though, sorry!)

a.woodrow, May 18, 4:57am
Any antifreeze will be fine, just don't mix it with what is already in the cooling system.

desmodave, May 18, 5:04am
I don't see any dumb question here , if you don't ask you don't know and there's alot that wouldnt know and wouldnt ask .Is the car using water

spunkeymonkey, May 18, 6:05am
Hi there, No the car is not using any water at all. When I have checked the oil and water I try and do that once 2-3 weeks and I have not had to put more water in. Only now that winter is upon us I thought that I had better put some anti freeze in (well my daughter to put anti freeze in). cheers

phillip.weston, May 18, 6:14am
mobil antifreeze will be fine.

m16d, May 18, 8:05am
Dont use Harley Davidson antifreeze but.

johnf_456, May 18, 11:39am
It will be fine, hell look at the amount of people that run pure water.

gammelvind, May 18, 8:18pm
Helps keep the radiator people in business.

johnf_456, May 18, 9:20pm
Haha true that

elect70, May 19, 3:46am
Bmw say the same fortheir brakefluid but its just castrolwith BMW logo on it .