Cleaned and gapped plugs, cleaned throttle body,

Page 1 / 2
40wav, May 19, 7:58am
replaced plug leads with new bosch leads. Seems to be running smoother but the lag on sudden acceleration remains. I gun it and it it goes 'blah,. REV!'. You know what I mean. Is there anything I can do to make this better! 1995 VS Commy 3.8 V6. Air filter is not new but very well blown out with compressor, has strong spark, returns no faults on dashboard diagnostic (all 12s). Any ideas! (and no, I don't want a Ford) Cheers.

kingfisher21, May 19, 8:00am
Doesn't matter if its blown out, they are cheap as chips replace it, and clean or try another AFM. Check for vacumn leaks.

usdefault, May 19, 8:03am
Throttle body gasket leak!
Blocked Cat!

40wav, May 19, 8:15am
Thanks guys. I tried it just through the AFM, disconnected from the air filter and it was actually worse. Will look at a new air filter though as the one I blew out was somewhat oily, I think it's a K&N replacement but is probably old. There does not appear to be any air leaks in the air intake assembly. If I cut out the cat and put a piece of straight pipe in there can I expect it to be better! Ute only has 160k on it.

40wav, May 19, 8:16am
How would I clean the AFM! Compressor!aerosol solvent! I did check it but could not see through as it was still connected to the inlet side of things. Cheers

franc123, May 19, 8:16am
Does it perform well otherwise, doesn't run out of top end!Check the fuel pressure and flow if not. if you are not getting at least a cupful of fuel out of the RETURN line in 10 seconds its not getting enough fuel.If the fuel filter is really bad the injectors could well be blocking up also.

40wav, May 19, 8:20am
Top end all good, revs like a demon. Just the wee lag on hard acceleration, mostly noticable when no load IE when revving from idle to flat to floor in neutral. Sounds like a big suck of air then revs follow.

40wav, May 19, 8:24am
Probaly worth noting too, consistantly does only 420kms to 60 litres of fuel. I would expect at least 10km per L. Alot of 100kmh driving but only 14 km am and pm. Takes about 6 km to move the temp gauge.

franc123, May 19, 8:27am
Thermostat would have to be suspect there, if the ECT sensor is reading too cold due to a stuck thermostat it will definitely put the fuel consumption up.It does sound like its simply not responding quick enough to sudden load, the AFM would have to be suspect.

40wav, May 19, 8:32am
Thankyou. Can you please tell me what ECT (I expect something to do with temp) stands for, and how I can clean the AFM! Cheers for your help.

40wav, May 19, 8:34am
Should I chuck an injector cleaner through it too!

snoopy221, May 19, 8:43am
!cleaned and regapped plugs!

REPLACE THEM.

After all unless you filed both electrodes square-well-all the symptoms of excessive firing voltage requirement of OLD WORN OUT spark plugs.
[Do ya regroove ya tyres as well!]

franc123, May 19, 8:47am
Engine Coolant Temp sensor, how hot the engine is running basically.Its an important feedback for the engine computer in determining how much fuel to inject, along with the throttle position, AFM, oxygen and crank angle/RPM sensors, among others.The ECT may not be faulty but of course it will not read right if the engine is cold, or not warm enough when it should be at temp.The effect is the same as if you were driving an old carb car with the choke partially on all the time.An injector cleaner might help it along but if you run it through an old fuel filter it might cause more problems if it dislodges any debris that may be in there.

40wav, May 19, 8:47am
Plugs did not look worn, but were at 1.8mm-2mm or so gap. I regapped to 1.5mm as per the manufacturers service book that came with the ute. I assume that they were installed as per out of the box. I'm being a little more fussy. And no, I don't regroove my tyres, that's just stupid. Thanks for your comment though.

snoopy221, May 19, 8:50am
Reality is 8000 kilometres is the fuel effective life of a standard plug.
That is the point where electrode erosion wear and edge rounding causes fuel economy to suffer-and observation on a tunsecope shows excessive firing voltage requirement.

40wav, May 19, 8:50am
Thanks franc123. Engine runs at normal temp when warm. I think I'll replace fuel filter then do an injector clean, as well as new air filter. See what that does and go from there. As far as removing the CAT, will this make it better or worse with a straight pipe where the cat was! Cheers

franc123, May 19, 8:52am
Yes but do you know how old they are!Plugs in those things should be replaced at 40K or so at the outside, there should be no need to regap them or clean them.I would say they were far too worn to use again if you found they were nearly 2mm gap!

40wav, May 19, 8:52am
OK, thanks for the comment. For the cost I may as well chuck new plugs in as well. Best brand! I've heard Champion are a no go! Cheers

40wav, May 19, 8:53am
Yes, service book says 10k ago. Plugs are GM.

hrt, May 19, 8:54am
Spark plugs should last 30,000km in reality. And if you have 2mm gap then they are stuffed, put new ones in. If the gap is up to 2mm then its going to be from wear, plug don't simply open up. 2mm is a damn big gap.

franc123, May 19, 8:55am
Ok right so they in theory should be OK.That gap was still far too wide though.

snoopy221, May 19, 8:56am
I regapped to 1.5mm as per the manufacturers service book that came with the ute

Incedentaly ya book is wrong-should be 1.1 millimetre-
And N G K

The end suffix on the spark plug will be -11 which stands for a plug pregapped to 1.1 millimetre.

hrt, May 19, 8:59am
Pretty sure the VS should run a BPR6EFS-15 which is 1.5mm gap

40wav, May 19, 9:00am
OK, will look into this. I think I'll just replace the plugs. Could this be the cause of poor economy and lag on revving though!

bubbles244, May 19, 9:01am
you can use brake cleaner on the afm, just let it dry/evaporate before reinstalling.

any engine will scream at WOT. try not to do it.

spark plugs will not cause this much fuel consumption, had a 3.0 skyline with two burnt off electrodes and still didn't use that much fuel.

change the ecus temperature sender unit on the water jacket. $5 dollar part. plenty of them around.

IF the cat was blocked you would have an ecu fault within 5 minutes of driving

let the engine idle and spray CRC around it while running, if there is a gasket leak it will suck the crc compressant into the intake and you will hear the engine idle pick up.