Cleaned and gapped plugs, cleaned throttle body,

Page 2 / 2
franc123, May 19, 9:01am
Plug gap on those later V6's is 1.5mm, well the Ecotecs are at least.The VN/P's may well be different.

40wav, May 19, 9:04am
I dont think the plugs have 'opened up'. I think they were installed with that gap as they looked pretty good. As they have been running at a 2mm gap for 10k would this shorten the life of them! They looked OK. I do know what old shite looks like as I have nursed old Falcons and Holdens along in the past on no budget, even back when we had leaded fuel!

snoopy221, May 19, 9:05am
I could well acceptably stand correctedhere.
Acceptably a -15 would be a 1.5 millimetre gap.
(Earlier used to be -11)

40wav, May 19, 9:05am
This is the Ecotec

40wav, May 19, 9:09am
No problem mate, Thanks for your comments. It's all good. This is a 1995 so the first of the Ecotec engines. There seems to be some odd thing with heat shields on the plug leads from 02/95 to 05/95 or somewhere there. Mine's an 11/95 so after that. Most say they ditched the heat sheilds anyway as they caused arcing to the manifolds.

hrt, May 19, 9:09am
Plenty of the later Falcons and Commodores are running 1.3 and 1.5mm gaps, yours should be the plugs I stated. I'd assume your manual says that too. If you had 2mm gaps before then someone has either put plugs in with the wrong gap or they have decided to gap the plugs incorrectly. A bigger gap will essentially be making the spark weaker and more prone to breaking down under load. Try the correct plug, new (which should be pregapped if they have the 15 in the part number) and see how you go.

snoopy221, May 19, 9:11am
End of the day a BPR6EFS-15is a standard copper electroded spark plug-and
Reality is 8000 kilometres is the fuel effective life of a standard plug.
That is the point where electrode erosion wear and edge rounding causes fuel economy to suffer-and observation on a tunsecope shows excessive firing voltage requirement

And if you ever saw spark plug firing voltages on a tunescope-
you would understand the effects of spark erosion from igniting a fuel air mixture under combustion pressure and temperature.

usdefault, May 19, 9:11am
If you can here it sucking air then you either have a throttle body gasket leak or a perished/cracked or lose hose somewhere.

Might need to do a smoke test to look for vacuum leaks.

40wav, May 19, 9:12am
Thanks for the info on the AFM. What is WOT! Cheers.

40wav, May 19, 9:19am
It's not that it's 'sucking air', it just takes a big gulp of air before revving. Can hear it throught the air filter. I'll check for leaks though anyway to eliminate that. Cheers.

usdefault, May 19, 9:26am
WOT= wide open throttle

You can get special MAF cleaner, if I were you I'd use that rather than CRC or brake cleaner as the latter 2 are not designed to clean Mass Air Flow sensors.

40wav, May 19, 9:29am
Thankyou.

40wav, May 19, 10:51am
Thanks all, really good advice here. Only question I still have is - can I remove the CAT without detriment, and will this improve things! Cheers all.

hrt, May 19, 10:54am
Catalytic converter is there for emissions, nothing more. You'll kill some cute and cuddly bunnies somewhere by taking them out, but it wont cause any issues with how the car runs by removing it.

morrisman1, May 19, 11:02am
Is the TPS working! Without that then the computer won't do the 'accelerator pump' and it will stutter when you poke the noisy pedal then roar into life

40wav, May 19, 11:05am
Is that 'throttle position sensor'! How will I tell if this is not working! It just has a lag when I rev it in neutral, like it needs to gulp some air then it revs out. Cheers

40wav, May 19, 11:06am
So are they not a restriction in the exhaust in any way!

morrisman1, May 19, 11:09am
It should have resistance across two of the (normally) three terminals. That will change depending on the position of the throttle and the computer reads the voltage between 1 and 5 volts. I don't have information specific to that engine sorry so that's about as much help as I can be

40wav, May 19, 11:13am
Cheers for your help.

usdefault, May 19, 11:33pm
Yes the cat is restrictive to backflow.

Remove it and release some ponies.

timmo1, May 19, 11:56pm
Not really consistent with the poster problem though- A blockage in flow caused by a blocked/stuffed cat would be felt as power loss, especially up in the revs whereas this problem is a hesitation at low revs.