Power steer too light, ?

quickstitch, May 19, 10:10pm
i have an xa cleveland P/S pump in my XE and the steering is too light for my liking. Is there an easy (cheap ) way to remedy, like an inline valve etc! I dont really want to change back to a XE pump as the XA is all steel and reco. with HPC'd brackets and pulleys.

tonyrockyhorror, May 19, 10:11pm
Inline would require a LVVC.

Weaker spring on the pressure relief valve is hidden from busy-body eyes.

budgel, May 20, 12:13am
I have always wondered if putting a larger pulley would help solve that issue, does anybody know!

edangus, May 20, 12:21am
I would change it mate. I always found with the XA's (My most favourite Ford) the faster you go the lighter it got. An acceptable design flaw, but one that made me always opt for non power steering (and big forearms). I know of no way to fix it though sorry.

acecv8, May 20, 12:22am
i put power steering in my xc ute but took out because it was to light as well felt like id get blown off road at 100km it was alot easier to park though haha

elect70, May 20, 12:29am
Sameput it in xd vanwith V8 but too lightat 100kphsotook it off . . Only way i see would be to shorten the pitman arm onthe boxgiving less leverage & requiring more turnslock to lock.

gunhand, May 20, 12:38am
When I had my 68 Stang this was a problem as well, man was it light. You were worn out after an hours driving trying to keep the thing in straight line. There was a screw on the power streer pump or ram that adjusted it abit. Did help but i found the best sloution was remove the belt. Did it stay on the road then or what. But parking and town was horrid. So I just took the cruise along quitely option and develope a gentle touch.

mrfxit, May 20, 12:50am
YEp theres ya cure.
Just need to know the tension spec of OEM & purchase another of slightly lower spec.

Maybe from a later model!