Terrano

adrianae, May 31, 5:01am
Apparently the diesel 3.0 second editions blow engines. Is this true!
Thought they were known to be reliable.

mm12345, May 31, 5:17am

bubbles244, May 31, 5:35am
have a tendancy to melt pistons if there are not maintaned.

boost spike and its all over rover.

bert37, May 31, 6:17am
yes some can, its to do with the mass air flow and egr system when they stuff up the make the turbo boost to the point of destruction, i have a mate who has one and he has fitted a turbo boost gauge, with the nissans the turbo boost is mated to power needs so the more you ask the more you get so running at say 100kms with a light throttle will see almost no turbo boost but putting your foot to the floor will see the gauge go up to around 10lbs of boost max, fit the gauge and trat it like a warning light and you should have no problems

mugenb20b, May 31, 6:25am
Yes, when they aren't 15 years old + or when they've done high mileages.

Terrano (PR50 chassis) came out with 3 diesel engines + 1 petrol engine (3.3 V6).

The good, reliable diesels were its dinosaur TD27-ETi (2.7 litre) and its bigger fatter brother QD32 (3.2 litre). Mechanically, these two engines are bulletproof, but its injector pumps is what gives them a bad name, as they can play up and cost $5000 to fix. Earlier TD27 and QD32 engines had no electronics, and went pretty much forever (apart from Terrano, they were used on other vehicles).

Now, the third diesel, the notorious ZD30, which was also used in late model Patrols has turned out to be a bit of a dog. Its DOHC design did wonders for performance, but due to a design fault, it's a failure.

Keep in mind that PR50 Terranos are getting old now, they are built more like a car than a 4WD, very soft. The common problems are, transmissions play up, manual gearboxes are weak (although, rare), seats break, and rear trailing arm bushes flog out. I own a PR50 myself, with a TD27 engine, my dad uses it, it's done 255 000kms, and the only thing that hasn't failed is a transmission. But, I do keep it well serviced.

adrianae, May 31, 11:30pm
x1
Thanks for the replies guys.

Overall seems like a car worth buying but:

Buy a ZD30 but only it its really low kms and has been maintained well!
I suppose having a mechanic look at it wouldnt be a bad idea either!

adrianae, May 31, 11:38pm
Another question worth asking is whether installing a boost controller gauge would slow the deterioration for a few years! This is with the example of a 2000 model, 100,000 Km.

mugenb20b, Jun 1, 4:47am
Boost controller doesn't do any favours to the engine. But, you can install a boost gauge if you want to, just to make sure the turbo is behaving itself. The best thing you can do for a diesel engine is keep it WELL serviced, and that includes air and fuel filters. Also, I would advise you to use a diesel fuel additive for extra fuel lubricity (Morey's brand, green and white container, you can buy it at Repco, and use it as per instructions). Also, fit an auxilliary transmission oil cooler, and service it every couple of years.

However, I really want to advise you NOT to buy a Terrano (especially the one with a ZD30 engine) for a number of reasons. Reliability issues aside, they are simply over priced and will cost a fortune to repair is something goes bang.

flack88, Jun 1, 6:06am
Zd30 has a big honeycomb cat ,rite where the turbo dump pipe is knock it out and it makes big difference to EGTs ,theres no sensors to it.

adrianae, Jun 1, 6:59am
mugenb20b I may well take your advise. Looking at the money I do have quite a few options. A Bighorn seems like a pretty good option when considering the following:
*price *reliability *decent ability to tow *offroad&onroad ability

Thanks for the answers everyone :)

bert37, Jun 1, 7:46am
think you are missing the point on the boost gauge bit, most of the problem is the turbo overboosting so a boost gauge will allow you to monitor it in the same way an oil light allows you to monitor oil pressure, and stop when a problem is detected before its does any major damage, i do not own one of these but you must understand that for every horror story you hear about a car there will be dozens more that go and proform as they should for years,if you were to as about horror stories about bighorns surfs or pajeros on here you would get them by the dozen

mugenb20b, Jun 1, 7:54am
OK, I'm probably going to get flamed by someone for saying this. Buying any old SUV diesel is always gamble no matter what brand, but if buying a Bighorn (which is a much stronger vehicle than a Terrano), get a manual one with a 3.1 litre diesel engine and please, get it checked thoroughly by your mechanic.

bubbles244, Jun 2, 3:35am
no. 4jb1 is the bullet proof one, the 3.1 is a dog like the nissan's zd30

i had a 4jb1 in a isuzu rodeo, did 600,000 kms with only rear main seal and powersteering seal. other wise it was sweet as,

I have a 2.7 TDI mistral now and it's first mod was removing the EGR

mugenb20b, Jun 2, 4:59am
3.1 (4JG2) is just a bigger version of 2.8 (4JB1). I do agree about the 2.8 being a better motor, but Isuzu has made a dog of an engine that was based on a CAT, the 3.0 litre (4JX1).

mugenb20b, Jun 2, 5:03am
x2
Mistrals are OK, until the water pump, alternator and starter motor give up (which usually happens within a month of each other), at a cost of $500 a piece, if you pay someone for repairs. Another common issues are the tail light bulb holders failing, and constant drain on the battery due to electric aerials. It appears that Mistrals were made for a European market.

raphael, Aug 1, 10:54am
When am starting my mistral terrano it jerks alot,and only stablises after peddling the accelator for a longer time.what is the problem