Ford Territory,

stusowry, May 31, 8:21pm
What do people know about them. Good or bad, Have heard stay away from Explorers.

thunderbolt, May 31, 9:03pm
Early exploders had a small issue where they fell over and killed their occupants.
Later ones dont fall over but tend to have several niggling faults that get annoying and costly over time.

In general the Terri is a good car, early versions may have some rust issues to look for, and had ball joint issues.
Later model versions fixed most of the early niggles.

Even though they are not exactly frugal, our fleet controller tells me the 10 or so we have are no more expensive to run and maintain than the BA/BF falcons they replaced.

Have heard a couple fo reports of car sickness for kids in the back.

commradio, May 31, 9:05pm
there's penty of info on the web - I looked at Territorys recently - some issue with balljoints, a couple of other niggles, fuel economy too, but overall ok

richardmayes, May 31, 9:36pm
My Boss had a Territory Ghia and he had all sorts of issues with suspension clonks and noises.

But then, Big Boss bought one for his wife and they've had no problems, it has been a good car for them. (Big boss said he reckons actually taking the car in for its scheduled servicing when you're supposed to is the key!)

Territory Ghia with the all-leather interior and the 6-cylinder Ford Falcon engine was a nice car. Lovely bright interior with lots of glass to see out. Plenty of power, and tight enough handling for fast highway driving.

I actually preferred it to the V8 Touareg he looked at initially, and the Lexus RX350 he replaced it with.

gman35, Jun 1, 12:08am
Australian built and designed , so it will generally drive nicely for the $ , but for that reason it's the usual lottery of you won't know if it's the "Monday morning or Friday avo one" as far as fit and finish goes , some owners one's are mint and have had many issues , others are fine.The updated (or higher-spec ones) with 6sp gearbox are certainly nicer and more efficient .

bmc460, Jun 1, 12:48am
bosskeeps buying them and all have had ongoing shock or suspension trouble

gman35, Jun 1, 1:26am
It is strange how the Aussie brands keep getting the buyer's back when they have had so much trouble in the past. I do think that many Ford / Holden owners never try anything else and just accept what is often pretty average quality/build. And I like Ford overall , but could still never buy an Australian one.

unbeatabull, Jun 1, 9:10am
Territories are great in there own light. The petrol ones have a great, reliable and extensively developed engine with plenty of power/torque and are relatively efficient these days, and they don't throw many issues.

Stay away from the Diesel. My pick of the bunch is the SY II model (Last before the latest SZ). Once they get up around 150,000k + they start getting suspension knocks in the rear if they have been used offroad/bumper roads etc - relatively common with aftermarket bush options available for all parts if you want the cheaper option.

unbeatabull, Jun 1, 9:10am
And don't buy an explorer. I could type up everything that goes wrong with them, but I'd run out of letters (4000 limit on here!)

clark20, Jun 1, 10:31am
Maybe they are not as bad as everyone says.I had reliable Hondas before, and I'm not going back.

zak1998, Jun 1, 10:37am
They drink the fuel big time