Ford territory

jojo76, Nov 26, 9:07am
We have been looking for another vehicle for a while now. After a diesel for towing. We ideally wanted a ute, but the prices have all shot up since COVID.
Anyway we have taken a territory for a test drive - 2012 high km 190000. Cam belt done. There is a vibration when sitting in the back seats, any idea what that could be? It has real cheap new tires on it - double coin or something? Will put in through a ppi if we are going to take it like, but just wanted to get your guys thoughts on them in general? Thanks

intrade, Nov 26, 9:10am
well does it alter with speed. The problem is it could be something in the drive train externally ir internally of it= the internal one will likely be a massive repair bill.

jojo76, Nov 26, 9:22am
Not sure if it altered during speed, daughter said she wasn’t sure!
So drive train issues, is that something that can be picked up during a ppi?

ginks, Nov 26, 9:33am
Best advice is go and find another vehicle.

intrade, Nov 26, 9:38am
well if you would be able to have a tech with 200 tousend doller diagnostic equipment and training to go with it. otherwise yes unfortunately to my know-how ppi people often miss the most basic things Like the one to not waste money on with The A in its name.

intrade, Nov 26, 9:43am
you could try google for the symptoms and see if they have a list of what it could be = The only thing you can do on a pc = it dont means its going to be it but if you find loads of posters having transmissions repaired for that symptom then your risk factor of it to be that just went up 10 fold . by finding out. Also other knowen issues best to research.
But be warned you buy nothing like me if you want something reliable. The only wy is to factor in the repair cost in purchase price of known problems.

franc123, Nov 26, 10:14am
Probably needs diff mount bushes and a check and rebalance of the tail shaft, problems with this accelerate wear on the bushes.
It's also possible that the shaft support bearing needs replacing by now. Not cheap as rear subframe has to come out. Up to you whether you proceed or not, unless it was at least $1500 cheaper than comparable ones on the market I'd walk,unless of course the seller is prepared to fix it.

franc123, Nov 26, 12:07pm
Good overall choice though, DC utes are crap value for money, not particularly practical and are easily outflanked in comfort and handling by a Territory.

3tomany, Nov 26, 12:17pm
drive shaft hanger bearing and diff bushes will need replacing at a best guess.

jojo76, Nov 26, 1:09pm
Thanks. It is 15k with a budget of around 17k so we could afford repairs if need be. I’m looking for a TS or TX model opposed to a titanium as I don’t like leather seats. Not a lot out there.

thunderbolt, Nov 26, 1:12pm
Sometimes the rear bushes are replaced with Nolathane as the genuine versions tend to have life span of about 100,000 Km,
It does make the vibration transfer into the car a bit harsher and more noticeable than the rubber mounts

poppy62, Nov 26, 1:43pm
I would say it's down to badly fitted tyres. I have often seen tyres running way out of round when being balanced and the tyre fitters just put more weights on them instead of refitting the tyre properly on the rim.

msigg, Oct 19, 9:52am
Yes franc is on to it