Panelbeaters in new plymouth

Page 2 / 2
attitudedesignz, Jul 3, 10:43pm
Thanks, a girl in Wellington wanted something different as she was doing a textile degree at uni'.
I've got 3 more old Singer sewing machines that need to be done when time allows lol.

I'm not really too surprised Alan didn't want to do it, he has to focus on the fast turn over work now as i think things are slowing down for him. With the insurance repair work being so competitive he can't afford to turn any of them away.

That's just my observation of what's happening 'round town.

flashgordon_nz, Jul 3, 10:52pm
yep. attitudedesignz - bingo. but work is work. big workshop, good gear. work is work. " trailer it here, get it done within 3 weeks" - sounds like the original poster isnt in a great rush.
But then, for a door repair on a workmates truck, he quoted $1300 higher then the other 2. Dunno.
The old resto work is getting deemed to be specialized - I saw it doing my time, guys are only really interested if panels can be purchased, un-stitched, replaced - Parts fitters - The creativity has gone, by making and shaping own panels.

attitudedesignz, Jul 3, 10:57pm
Exactly mate, that's why i was so stoked to find Pete at mend a dent. Also the price for what i wanted done was the kicker.

lookoutas, Jul 3, 11:03pm
[I'm not really too surprised Alan didn't want to do it, he has to focus on the fast turn over work now as i think things are slowing down for him. With the insurance repair work being so competitive he can't afford to turn any of them away.

That's just my observation of what's happening 'round town.[/quote]
Is that like saying. "Yeh - nah"!
Bloody good to have a project car to jump on when things get slack. Was beginning to think you must be bad drivers in the Naki. Most P/beaters around the country have stuff-all work - most probably due to the economic situation. Which incidentally is a direct reflection of the road toll, not the initiative of the cops.
The conclusion is that they probably don't like doing that sort of work, usually due to OP's original statement.
"Cheap" Sorry - edit "Decent price"

jezz43, Jul 3, 11:13pm
by decent, i mean if im going to be charged like a wounded bull, i expect it done properly. i dont care about spending a bit of coin, but i expect a very good job done in return. i dont want a cheap job as i dont want it to be redone within the next few months.

lookoutas, Jul 3, 11:41pm
You're not in hurry, but can't take it to the ones who can't start for 3 weeks!
Most of us are wary about jobs like that, coz what looks like 2 days work often turns into 4, and then you've got an owner whinging about the revamped price.
Best option is "No quote" and you'd get charged the hourly rate.

jezz43, Jul 3, 11:44pm
its not the "we cant start it for 3 weeks" part that bothers me. its the fact that they dont want to (in their own words) "waste" their time crafting bits of panel to fit when they have more important work. ive rung several and each one pretty much fobs me off onto the next.

attitudedesignz, Jul 3, 11:47pm
I'd wait 'til Pete can do it or the guy mk3zeph said.

Go and see Pete and actually book it in mate.

jezz43, Jul 4, 12:14am
just got hold of lance matthews, what a champ. hes got all the spare parts i need and hes willing to do the job. hes even coming out to have a look at the van now.

jezz43, Jul 4, 12:23am
yea, hes got a trip down south island coming up. im buying 2 doors from down there (completely rust free). hes offered to pick them up on his travels aswell.

attitudedesignz, Jul 4, 12:32am
Result.

Now this is how the motoring MB should be lol.

jezz43, Jul 4, 12:55am
2-3 grand to repair all the rust. which includes, panelling 3 rear windows up and sunroof, new drivers side floorpan, 4 new sections in the wheel wells, new drivers side pillar, hinge section and wheel arch and a new drivers side front panel. not too bad i reckon

flashgordon_nz, Jul 4, 2:35am
ahhh, so there was a lot more work to be done than just the pics. But sounds like a reasonable price for what your wanting done. keep an eye on his workmanship - make sure it is getting done properly - he is more than capable of it, and knows them cf's inside out.

jezz43, Jul 4, 2:43am
well the main bits i want done are in the pics, i can do the rest myself. that quote is for the whole lot. but its give or take on the cost. havent decided whether i want it all done by him or just the harder areas.

grangies, Jul 4, 2:51am
Awesome!

Is that carbon fibre, or a transfer!

grangies, Jul 4, 2:51am
ps.

The Ford table looks mint!

attitudedesignz, Aug 26, 4:16pm
cheeRS.

The case is painted to look like carbon fibre, real easy to do lol.